1991 70 hp evinrude starting problems

Jrvd01

Cadet
My engine will crank fine but takes many attempts to fire. It also stalls sometimes when put into gear. I put new plugs on and made sure it's getting fuel. I don't understand why it's having so much trouble to fire. I eventually have to give it throttle and after 6 or 7 try's it will fire up. Once it's running it runs great except it stalls when put into gear sometimes..but when I turn it off ... It takes forever to get it running again. Any suggestions? I'm sure it could be many different things. I appreciate any help

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 70 hp evinrude starting problems

First thing, the hose for water indicator comes off the side on the exhaust masnifold or off the top of the block ?---------Start this trouble shooting with a compression test.-----Then check to make sure you have spark on all 3 that will jump a gap of 3/8" and not just the wee gap on the spark plugs.-------Is the fuel primer working when you push in the key , when cranking to start it ?---Excessive cranking will damage the starter !!------Slow cranking on these motors means that the ignition does not perform properly.

Jrvd01

Cadet

I pulled the plugs and they seemed fouled, which I just put on a week ago. I cleaned them and turned the red lever 180 degrees on the primer solenoid and gave some throttle and it fired right up. I then turned red lever into run position and engine shut right off. I then tried to start and wouldn't fire. Pulled plugs and they all looked fouled again... ?? I have NGK plugs.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Where do you have the red lever pointing, back over the solenoid body?
I would install the proper champion plugs.

Jrvd01

Cadet

Ok I will try the champion plugs. It ran with the it pointed over the solenoid then when I moved it normal position and it shut right off and wouldn't fire after that.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Are you aware of what the red lever does here ????

Jrvd01

Cadet

adds fuel to the mixture.. Only thing I know.. Got something else? I've only used it when first starting.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

This is an electric valve and is operated by pushing in the key while cranking the motor over.--------The red lever is for manual operation.( motor can be started with a dead battery )----When you turn the red lever you have to prime the bulb to inject fuel into motor.----Then turn it to the run position for start up.-----Lever should be in line with valve body in order to run properly.

Jrvd01

Cadet

Thanks. Have any ideas why the sparks are getting fouled. They are wet when I pull them. After it gets running the motor runs great.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Is there a thermostat installed ?---------Does hose for tell-tale come off the side of the block or off the top of the block?--A motor that cranks too slow will have starting problems !

Last edited:

Jrvd01

Cadet

Yes it has new thermostat. Owner before ran it w/o thermostat? The hose comes from the side of block. It has brand new battery and starter. I just pulled the plugs and no spark on 2nd cylinder. Swapped with good wires and still no spark on second cylinder. First and third cylinders have spark...Plugs are brand new...