Evinrude 2 horse compression

Cdubb2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got a 1976 2602S Evinrude 2 horse outboard I bought today. Fella I got I from says it's low on compression so it needs rings. Got the thing together and pulled the spark plug and put my finger over the hole and it felt like it had good compression for what it is. I got a compression tester just wondering if anyone knows or has a general idea of what the compression reading should be? Also the recoil doesn't doesn't pull the string in all the way, about half hangs out. Sorry for these really basic questions, I'm just used to working on cars and this is the first outboard I've worked on.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Evinrude 2 horse compression

The best bet would be try your tester and hope the compression is the same for both cylinders. You can put a couple of wraps on the spring and get it to pull the cord all the way in, but you need to read the procedure from a shop manual before trying it. If you mess up just right, you can release the string suddenly and break the spring. Once you get compression numbers, post them and someone will post whether they are good.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

my little evi is a little over 100 psi and runs pretty good. my gauge may be a little off.

as for the recoil might try and removing the cover, pull out the rope and tie a slip knot (to hold the string) so you can remove the handle. then just wind the string a turn or two.

i love my 2hp. she runs great. i did spend about 130 on parts. i did the coil, point, condenser, wire and boot new lower unit seals and lower oil.

dino

Cdubb2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The best bet would be try your tester and hope the compression is the same for both cylinders. You can put a couple of wraps on the spring and get it to pull the cord all the way in, but you need to read the procedure from a shop manual before trying it. If you mess up just right, you can release the string suddenly and break the spring. Once you get compression numbers, post them and someone will post whether they are good.

Sadly I don't have a shop manual, I only have what is online and free. The recoil was unhooked and I put that back togther (real fun when that coil spring comes loose and smack you in the mouth) and it does recoil some. Also it's a single cylinder if it was a twin that would make compression testing easier. I know on old cars I've worked on if there's a 20 pound difference between cylinders then there's a issue. Not sure if that number applies on outboards or not. I'll be sure to post results.

Cdubb2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

my little evi is a little over 100 psi and runs pretty good. my gauge may be a little off.

as for the recoil might try and removing the cover, pull out the rope and tie a slip knot (to hold the string) so you can remove the handle. then just wind the string a turn or two.

i love my 2hp. she runs great. i did spend about 130 on parts. i did the coil, point, condenser, wire and boot new lower unit seals and lower oil.

dino

100? Wow that's pretty impressive, if I had to take a guess I would say this little dude is somewhere around 60 or 70 give or take. If it runs I'll be very happy just to be able to get on the water.

dkonrai

100? Wow that's pretty impressive, if I had to take a guess I would say this little dude is somewhere around 60 or 70 give or take. If it runs I'll be very happy just to be able to get on the water.

when i got the motor, the recoil was in a box. i.e. i had to figure out how to put it together, the plastic pawl was broken, the friction spring was all tweaked (14 buck for that one piece) cord was broken handle was broken.. wouldnt idle the carb was all plugged. tank was like varnish as the stop ****. so i cleaned it all. took a bit of hours. i still need to replace the head gasket , not bc it needs it just cheap insurance. good to pop the head and take a look see to make sure all the water passages are clear.
dino

Cdubb2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

when i got the motor, the recoil was in a box. i.e. i had to figure out how to put it together, the plastic pawl was broken, the friction spring was all tweaked (14 buck for that one piece) cord was broken handle was broken.. wouldnt idle the carb was all plugged. tank was like varnish as the stop ****. so i cleaned it all. took a bit of hours. i still need to replace the head gasket , not bc it needs it just cheap insurance. good to pop the head and take a look see to make sure all the water passages are clear.
dino
This on the tank and cover was off but other wise from what I've seen the thing is spotless. Out of curiosity how long does a tank of fuel last? This motor will be on a 12 foot fiberglass fishing boat when she's done.

dkonrai

i havent run this on the boat yet. i got the motor about a month ago. my guess is the fuel should last at least half day. just carry a small spare tank, maybe a gallon or so. motor only hold 2/3 gallon of gas.
d

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

60 to 70 psi is rebuild time

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'd be looking for 85

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

60 to 70 psi is rebuild time

Cdubb2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ran a compression test on two pulls it read 74 pounds, not sure if that's the proper way to test then with two pulls. But she's not starting

nwcove

Admiral

pull it until the gauge stops rising. i found it is more like 5 or 6 pulls.

yep...pull it like ya hate it a half dozen times. i would think 60 psi on that little motor should be ok to get it to start and run half decent.

1Zorro1

Seaman Apprentice

Have the same motor. Mine has or had 100 lbs/in but yours should run. Those are great little motors. Back when they were designed, cast and assembled in the "Good Old USA". No joke in those days there was a big difference. Can't remember if that one had a reed plate on it, i may have repaired that once. If the recoil isn't recoiling all the way back perhaps did you remember to wind the spool one revolution past where the end of the rope comes out the recoil hole on the front of the cowl? Gives it tension. Good luck. You may have issues with the rich/lean mixture as well can make it hard to start, also those jets must be cleaned. I do remember changing out the coil once. If the covering is cracked that may be a sign but if it has spark it should go.

Last edited:

Cdubb2010

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's getting fuel and spark but she's not firing. Got a old marine mechinic tearing into the recoil tommarow because the thing has unwound like 4 times in my face lol that's pretty unpleasant

jbjennings

Captain

How are you verifying spark? If not with an air gap tester then your spark test is not reliable. Spark should jump at least a 1/4" air gap with a nice bright blue pop. If spark is orange or inconsistent, that's your problem. If spark is good, squirt a little fuel/oil mix in the spark plug hole and pull it over a few times. If it attempts to run, check the reeds. If not, compression is likely bad or the flywheel key is sheared and the spark is not timed correctly.

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Just finished a ring job on an 85 Johnson 2 hp. The rings were seized in the piston grooves when I picked it up and the compression was zero. After the ring job I got 90 lbs compression. She started up and runs but I haven't been able to fine-tune it since I immediately had the casting on the flywheel (where the starter catches) break off. It's either a new flywheel or I'm going to do what I did with 71 Johnson 2 hp; mounted a wrap around rope start hub from an old Elgin and did away with the recoil.