1964 Johnson 40 hp RDL- 26 Running poorly

johnlazelle

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

I have been working on this motor that has not been run in almost 15 years. I spent the winter cleaning it up and tuning it. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel lines, new spark plugs, cleaned up the points, new water pump, changed the oil in the lower unit, rebuilt the carb, repaired spark plugs wires.

Finally got to the point to run it and it starts, but runs rather rough and there is gas dripping out of the carb. The engine does some "popping" and sometimes stalls.

I guessing i need to make some adjustments and am looking for some advice.

Thanks,
John

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1964 Johnson 40 hp RDL- 26 Running poorly

Just some thoughts, not trying to be a smart-alec......

Points have to be set/adjusted correctly. Condition makes a big difference, too.
Repaired plug wires????
Where is the carb leaking gas? A bad seal or gasket, or the float is not set just right, letting it flood.

Good luck :)

johnlazelle

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1964 Johnson 40 hp RDL- 26 Running poorly

Not at all, I appreciate honesty! The ends of the spark plugs where they connect to the plugs were bad.
I took the carb bowl off and the gas was leaking out the needle valve. I had put in a new needle and seat. Took out the new ones and put the original ones back in and the leak has stopped.
Ran the engine but can't get it to smooth out, does a lot of popping. Doesn't seem to help by adjusting the lean/rich needle on the carb.
Think I may break down and replace the points, condensor and maybe coils and wires.