1975 Evinrude 9.9 carb. questions

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1975 Evinrude 9.9 model 10554C ???.rebuilding carburetor (first time rookie) and I have 2 questions. I either did not have this part in the carb. or I blew it out when I was cleaning. It is part number 31466 ?needle valve bearing?. It is a plastic piece (see attached photo). Do I need this and if I do I just want to verify that I put this part in with the *** side first? This is for the slow speed needle valve.
2nd question is about the 1 orifice plug in the center of the carb. When I removed it and look down into the hole there is another brass plug which is slotted and appears to be chipped on one side where a screwdriver would fit. I really did not want to try to remove it so as not to bugger it up any worse. I have shot OMC carb cleaner into that plug (as there is a hole in it) and the fluid went through the carb. I was hoping that I do not have to remove that smaller plug?..do I? See attached photo. I appreciate any info or opinions from this great fourm.

Attachments

• car3.jpg
    car3.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
  • car2.jpg
    car2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 0

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1975 Evinrude 9.9 carb. questions

I cant answer your first question but the second question i would leave it where it is since you can blow cleaner through it ok.
Why are you rebuilding them? A running problem?

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

according to parts diagram yes to the needle bearing, it is supposed to be in there, small end first.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just make sure the old one is still not in the carb.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

That needle bearing is very hard to see inside that slow speed jet and the plastic is kind of clear so you may very well have one in there. Getting them out is tricky. My method is to take a #8 deck screw and try to turn it to get a very slight bite on the plastic bearing and then pull it out. The problem is if you turn that screw too much that steal screw will chew up that aluminum carb pretty easily, so one has to be very careful. It is a horrible design but it is what it is.

Once you get the new one back in do not spray anymore carb cleaner in there since plastic parts do not hold up well to carb cleaner.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I straighten out a small fish hook and pull it out with that.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

I gotta remember that one. That is a much better idea.

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For the life of me I cannot see if the needle bearing is in there or not. I do see a ridge sticking out at the bottom, but I don?t know if it is plastic or aluminum. If I put a sharp piece of metal against the side and slide it down to the ridge sticking out the bearing should collapse (if it is there) but if I do the same and that ridge is aluminum I will mess it up. I do like the fish hook idea and will try it as soon as I get some bigger long shanked hooks with bigger barbs. Attached is a photo showing a lead shot near the side of the needle bearing. Can I remove this shot and maybe have some access to the needle bearing? How do I remove the shot and can I reuse it and cover with JB Weld to seal?

Attachments

• lead1.jpg
    lead1.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 0

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the needle bearing is located behind the idle needle in the carb body. u need a flashlight and shine it down where the idle screws in. its tiny and sometimes pretty dirty. shoot some carb cleaner down there first.

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the needle bearing is located behind the idle needle in the carb body. u need a flashlight and shine it down where the idle screws in. its tiny and sometimes pretty dirty. shoot some carb cleaner down there first.
Did all that...can anyone answer my shot question above????

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral

do no harm is the best solution.... have you tried the fish hook yet !! does the part really need to be replaced ??

Confuscius says "Always best to remove tonsil from the top"

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

do no harm is the best solution.... have you tried the fish hook yet !! does the part really need to be replaced ??
Do not know if it has to be replaced because I do not know if it is in there or not.Fish hook is not catching on anything. Can anyone awnser my shot question above???