Johnson / nitro 150 will not crank

uh60crewdog

Cadet
Hello everyone, just registered today, I have a 1992 suntracker with a johnson/ nitro 150 outboard on the rear and currently can get it to crank. The last season ended with me having to tweek the wires going to the ignition switch under the dash to get it to go so I replaced switch, cleaned and reterminated the leads and problem persisted. now I can't even get it to turn over. The starter turns when the key is turned to start but no engine crank. I did notice that the oil warning alarm is wired into the ignition system and it looks to be in bad shape, could this be a culprit and can it be troubleshot/bypassed to see? not sure where to go from here, any help would be great , thank you...

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Johnson / nitro 150 will not crank

Hi
What do you mean by no engine crank?
Is the flywheel turning?
If so is it spinning fast? Got a tach with a rpm reading?

uh60crewdog

Cadet

when the key is turned to start i hear and see the top of the starter mechanism turning, kind of sounds like a higher pitched wine for lack of a better description but the deeper tone of what I assume would be the engagment of the flywheel is not there. is there a separate voltage that ids supposed to start the flywheel engagment or should the starter do it all? but no the flywheel does not turn.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

when the key is turned to start i hear and see the top of the starter mechanism turning, kind of sounds like a higher pitched wine for lack of a better description but the deeper tone of what I assume would be the engagment of the flywheel is not there. is there a separate voltage that ids supposed to start the flywheel engagment or should the starter do it all? but no the flywheel does not turn.

Starter does it all
How good is your battery?
Have you tried jumping the starter directly?

uh60crewdog

Cadet

Starter does it all
How good is your battery?
Have you tried jumping the starter directly?

I put charger on them lastnight to charge overnight, i haven't tried jumping the starter directly. where would I jump the starter? from battery to positive side of starter?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I put charger on them lastnight to charge overnight, i haven't tried jumping the starter directly. where would I jump the starter? from battery to positive side of starter?

Neg to engine ground somewhere.
Positive straight to where cable currently attaches on motor. Make sure you dont touch the casing
Check your batter can start something else too.
A charger wont juice up a failing battery

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Clean and tighten ALL the battery cable connections. Even the cable from the solenoid to the starter. Then have your batteries load tested.

Last edited:

Fed

Commander

Or your bendix could be sticky.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That's the little gear on the starter motor that engages the teeth on the flywheel.