1993 40hp Johnson slow start - won't idle

jb3b

Cadet
My 1993 40 HP TJ40ELETB is hard to get cranked and when it does it will only idle for a couple of minutes then it acts like it is starving for fuel and shuts down. Took it to the lake 2 weeks ago it was hard to start but when i got it to start and into gear before going dead it ran like a top. Back to the lake last week and would not start at all. I rebuilt the carbs last fall and it would start the minute you touched the key. I took the carbs off today and re-cleaned them. did not help. Squeezing bulb does not help when it starts to go dead. Even though bulb, fuel lines and fuel pump are 10 yrs old they are not leaking any gas. carb adjustment doesn't seem to help. When I disconnect the fuel line going from the fuel pump to the carb fuel pumps out. I'm out of ideas, any suggestions would be helpful.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 40hp Johnson slow start - won't idle

Does the electric primer work properly ?-------Do you hear the click when you push in the key ?-----Is the red lever in the correct position ?-----Possibly try another tank and hose with fresh fuel.--------Oil injection system checked to be working properly ?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Have you checked spar?
Are you sure its not flooding out? primer bulb holding firm with engine off?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check your compression first. Then check your spark next with an open air gap spark tester set at 7/16".

jb3b

Cadet

I checked the compression today and had 130 on 1st cylinder and 131 on the second which I understand is good. I will check the spark, have to get spark tester tomorrow. If the spark is not good what is that an indication of? Is it possible that I don't have the floats set correctly in the carb. I have the bottom of the floats about the thickness of a tie strap of the carb body when in the upright position. In the inverted position it hangs down about an 1 1/4 inch from the body. Is it possible for air to be sucked in through pin holes with out it leaking any gas at that spot.

Thanks to everyone for responding. Don't give up. I'm encouraged that you're on this with me.

jb3b

Cadet

To my knowledge the primer is working properly. It clicks, the red lever is in the right position and when I disconnect the primer hoses from the carb and push the key in gas shoots out.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The fuel priming system bypasses the carburetors for start-up.----Float level has nothing to do with initial start-up.----Slow cranking will lead to poor starting.---Try another known to be good battery.

jb3b

Cadet

I have not checked the spark. The primer bulb does not seem to be as firm with the engine off. I bought a new primer bulb and fuel line set-up today and couldn't tell any difference. How would I know if it is flooding out.

jb3b

Cadet

Raceone I forgot to mention that the oil injection has been disconnected and plugged off.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I have not checked the spark. The primer bulb does not seem to be as firm with the engine off. I bought a new primer bulb and fuel line set-up today and couldn't tell any difference. How would I know if it is flooding out.

It should hold tight, if it doesnt you will notice fuel seeping out of the carbs or somewhere else, or you have air in the line somehow.
It doesnt need to stay firm for long but at least a minute with engine off is what i do

jb3b

Cadet

Took your advise and looked the motor over real good and did find a leak where the red lever attaches to the primer. I didn't have the four screws tightened real good and gas was seeping out behind the primer and it was hard to see. Fixed it and bulb is staying harder now even after the engine is off. Did not help the problem though. I'm considering taking it to a mechanic tomorrow because I'm missing all the good crappie fishing here in Mississippi. Thanks for all the help.