1973 135hp hitch

rob 135

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got motor started today after rebuild . While on muffs if u race engine a little at carb it hitches or stumbles. I figured was normal because timing wasn't being advanced to . Hoping I'm right. Didn't have control hooked up yet .

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 135hp hitch

If you connect the engine to a control box and advance the throttle, the engine will open the carb butterflys and advance ignition timing simultaneously. That's normal. If you run without the control box and only move/rotate the small throttle roller on the top carb, all you get will be the carbs opening. (no timing advance.) That could be the problem. I'd be more concerned if the engine did not function properly when correctly hooked up to the control box and the engine is running in the lake in forward gear. It's not good to rev that engine in neutral above 2000 rpm's (when it's not under any load)

rob 135

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't rev much ,just little to see if all was working. Gonna back in water with control hooked up and set idle and timing .

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Just confirming, opening the carburetors' throttle lever without advancing the spark will make it stumble or conk out. Just goes to show the importance of proper synchronization (link & sync).