Johnson 1956 fd-10 15hp pressurizing tank sends gas out side of carb

stugny

Recruit
Motor will start in the tank but not stay running. Had some serious spitting and puffing. Adjusted low speed jet and smoothed out some but still stalling. Found with choke on that I could keep it running by pumping tank. With motor off I was pumping tank to see if I could see where I may be loosing pressure having had this happen before with a cracked line. I heard some noise around carb and I noticed the pump never seems to harden up as before. As I tried to figure out where noise was coming from as I pumped tank I seen gas coming out a small hole on side of carb. Suspect float/needle stuck allowing constant gas to carb. Don't understand why pumping keeps it running unless it is a pressure thing. Any idea's before I start digging into the carb??

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 1956 fd-10 15hp pressurizing tank sends gas out side of carb

You build up pressure in the tank after the motor is running. Your need a carb job to get it to run right.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

agree. sounds like it's running out the gas you pump into the carb. think I would do a compression and spark check, if you haven't done that yet, then plan on disassembling and cleaning/rebuilding carb.

JohnnyRudeClassics

Petty Officer 3rd Class

don't forget the old soapy water trick to track down an air leak
along the pressure line, pressure tank, or what have you...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Is your tank building pressure? Will it hiss when you take off the cap after running?

stugny

Recruit

Turned out to be two different issues! I did pull the carb which wasn't too bad. Common sense told me that there should not have been gas coming out of the overflow if the float needle was holding. So cleaned well and reinstalled still not running but would fire up everytime I pumped tank. When it did backfire I noticed a puff at fuel connector. Disconnected fuel line and attached directly to carb and air bypassing connector. Started up and ran like new! Ordered new o-rings for connector.