'72 Rude Triumph 65hp selectric reverse isssues

I have a great running 65hp selectric shift. Shifts properly into fwd & neutral, however no reverse. I have repair receipts provided from previous owner showing the remote control box had been rebuilt as well as other items repaired. There is wiring attached on side of powerhead that was placed there by marine mechanic, it has a small fuse inline. Fuse is good. I was told this was for solenoid operation. Ive rebuilt a half dozen or so outboards from 6-75hp but have ZERO knowledge of selectric shift. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: '72 Rude Triumph 65hp selectric reverse isssues

Find the 2 wires that lead to the lower unit.-----Apply 12 volts to both wires together and motor should shift to reverse when started.

Start motor, apply 12volts to green and blue wires from the battery at same time and this should actuate reverse solenoid? If it doesn't what is next step? Solenoid replacement!? And if it does shift, that indicates bad switch or connection at remote?Thanks for input

racerone

Supreme Mariner

What you would be doing is bypassing all the wiring and switch on the remote.-------Both solenoids are activated to block oil ports in the pump housing in order to get reverse.------Test that and report what you find out.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Make sure the proper oil is in the lower unit.