Compatiblity of parts, 1974 115 hp Evinrude and a 1977 70 hp Evinrude?

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer
I am scraping/junking a 1974 115hp Evinrude. I replaced it with a 1977 70 hp Evinrude. Would any of the parts off the 115 fit and be usable on the 70?

If there are any, I'll remove them, put them on the self and hope I don't need them.:friendly_wink:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Compatiblity of parts, 1974 115 hp Evinrude and a 1977 70 hp Evinrude?

Sparkplugs maybe ???

phillnjack2

Ensign

you could do yourself a favour and save the gearbox if its manual gearchange and not electric.
coils, starter motor can be made to fit no problem too.
engine bracket to the boat could also be the same , the prop and nut and spacer, gear box screws,
seal on the engine hood can be used for the 70 too.
the fuel pump, the fuel line fitting on lower engine cowling etc,
there is more I am sure that somebody knows about.

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to buy new plus! One of the reasons the 115 is being scraped is due to a spark plug end breaking off in one cylinder and it, as you can imagine, trashed the piston head and severely scared the cylinder wall.
Sparkplugs maybe ???

Bubbasboat

Chief Petty Officer

The lower unit was one of the reasons it was pulled out of service, along with others. It leaked and the oil foamed and now it has sat for quit some time, a year plus. That being the case, not sure it would it be worth keeping to rebuild? Otherwise, it appears there are quit a few interchangeable parts. I have the service manual for both the 77 and 74 motors, have the parts catalog for the 77. Maybe I should find a parts catalog for the 74 as well and compare part by part.

you could do yourself a favour and save the gearbox if its manual gearchange and not electric.
coils, starter motor can be made to fit no problem too.
engine bracket to the boat could also be the same , the prop and nut and spacer, gear box screws,
seal on the engine hood can be used for the 70 too.
the fuel pump, the fuel line fitting on lower engine cowling etc,
there is more I am sure that somebody knows about.