2002 9.9HP Johnson 4 Stroke - No Gas To Carbs

Consigliere

Cadet
Trying to get the above motor going and have figured out that there is no gas getting to the carbs.

Can run the engine by spraying quickstart directly into the air intake but when no quickstart is going in the engine stalls out.

Taking off the gas supply line to the carb there is flow there. The bowl drain line however, nothing has ever come out.

The engine took a bath at the bottom of the lake and was immediately taken apart, cleaned and dried and started for a while but hasn't really run in a year since then.

Some initial reading makes me think the float is stuck shut? Wouldn't the priming bulb be able to overcome this and put gas into the bowl? Like I said, nothing is coming out the bowl drain line...bone dry. Is it the fuel pump maybe?

Pretty new to fixing engines, so just want to make sure I try everything before taking the carbs off and apart (also make sure that is actually the problem.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 9.9HP Johnson 4 Stroke - No Gas To Carbs

Sounds like the float valve is stuck.-Try a hefty squeeze on the bulb or a gentle tap on carburetor body.------Might be best to take the carburetor apart.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 9.9HP Johnson 4 Stroke - No Gas To Carbs

You have carb problems.