1957 Johnson Rd 19 wires

Relic1957

Cadet
I just got the old running, but have a question about the 2 wires on the port side next to the fuel connection. What are these for. I will try and post a pic, but I am new to this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 0

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 Johnson Rd 19 wires

To your mercury switch, is it disconnected?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

That little tube has MERCURY in it.---------Purpose is to prevent cranking the motor when throttle is advanced too far.----------Remember this was " state of the art " in the 50's.

Relic1957

Cadet

Yes one wire is disconnected, it looks like it goes on the right side of the porcelain switch. I can strip the wire and reconnect if need be. But what is it's function?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The mercury switch grounds the body of the vacuum cut-out switch, but only at slow throttle settings. That enables the cut-out switch to control run-away. The reason for enabling it only at slow settings is because if it were to be enabled at high speeds, it may cause an erratic miss, especially at cruise throttle settings.

On electric start models, the switch serves dual functions. It allows the electric starter to function only at slow throttle settings.

Good luck reconnecting that wire. The post on the switch is stainless steel and is not solderable. The wire was originally welded on.

yorab

Ensign

Cadmium on the fasteners, mercury in the lines. Sheesh, the folks assembling these motors back then should have gotten hazardous duty pay.

Relic1957

Cadet

Wow, stainless steel. I was wondering what the function was of that wire when I had the coils off, it looked like it only went to the one coil though. I thought it was a kill switch but didn't know how it worked. Is this part available? And where can I get one?