1965 60 hp johnson superseahorse V4

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,
I have a 60 hp Johnson, not the 3 cylinder ones, its an old V4, I cant to get it running right, when I first got it the carby was blocked and I cleaned it out along with the fuel pump/filter and it ran all good then it started running on 3 cylinders but had spark on four do I cleaned the points and that solved that problem but started not running right again so I re- adjusted the throttle synch with the distributor, there was a youtube video that showed me how to do that (which was on a 75 hp Johnson but threr was all the same adjustments on mine), I can post it and see what you think but it made sense to me, so I did all that and its now running on one cylinder so now I'm stuck on what to do. if anyone could help me that would be great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUX4rdDIQvM

Model: VXL12R
Serial: SA28159

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1965 60 hp johnson superseahorse V4

For starters have you checked that spark can jump 11mm gap on all cylinders?
Have you checked compression on all cylinders?
Which cylinder is the one thats running?

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did check for spark, but I didn't check how far it could jump and it was only on cylinder 1 no others had spark, cant remember what the compressions were but I think they were all in spec, i'll check them again tomorrow.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I am not sure it would run on just one cylinder !-------Does primer bulb go hard when you start the motor ?----Does it help the motor if you operate the primer bulb when the motor is running.-----------Check to see if spark will jump a gap of 8 mm on all 4 leads --Yes or no ?

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

checked for spark on all plugs and only n.o 1 was working the rest were all wet with fuel and had no spark also tried doing a plug pull while the engine was running and it came down to cyl 1 that the engine was running on the rest were not working.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Obviously needs a new coil.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I will assume that the engine has a battery ignition and not a Magneto. when you pulled the distributor cap off and cleaned the points did you look for cracks in the cap? Checked the plug wires for continuity? You say you cleaned the points. Have you looked at them again?

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there was no cracks in the distributor but didn't check continuity and I have looked at them again.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Obviously needs a new coil.

I was thinking the same but I would have thought that it would have been a progressive problem, if so would a car coil work?, I've heard about it but not sure yet.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

theres a few marks which one is just a plain line, 2 others with points break and belt timing, now I know that there for adjusting the timing but I don't know how to adjust the timing of even check it for that matter, I cant hook up a timing light to this motor? just need a few tips, I cleaned the wire ilets that go to and from the coil and I'm getting a bright blue spark now, I checked it at night so it is defiantly there, I need an adjustable spark tester to check strength but its a start, just need a bit of help.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Why can you not hook up a timing light ?

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh sorry, I meant that as a question, my mistake.

IMPERIAL16

Cadet

have you checked the brass contacts in the distributor car. i have a 1964 evinrude starflite 90s that was running only on three cylinders. i had a spare 90hp and put that cap on it and it runs like champ. change the rotor also. if you dont have a spare engine i know brand new caps are pretty expensive(over $200). good luck

IMPERIAL16

Cadet

have you checked the brass contacts in the distributor car. i have a 1964 evinrude starflite 90s that was running only on three cylinders. i had a spare 90hp and put that cap on it and it runs like champ. change the rotor also. if you dont have a spare engine i know brand new caps are pretty expensive(over $200). good luck

forgot to say that the contacts on my old cap had huge gouges on them like the rotor was hitting them. but the rotor was fine. they probably got hot at one point before i bought the engine, and melted them a little.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ah okay thanks, I'm not sure, the contacts looked alight I suppose, considering its a very old motor, they weren't damaged just a bit of wear but no major damage that I could think of. Should I try cleaning the contacts with a bit of sand paper and contact cleaner? could it be something to do with the points? I got spark on all 4 but when I ran it, it ran on 1 cylinder so im back to square 1.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Plug wires should be a metal core.---Plug wires when new screwed into the distributor cap.---What is installed in your motor today ?

IMPERIAL16

Cadet

ah okay thanks, I'm not sure, the contacts looked alight I suppose, considering its a very old motor, they weren't damaged just a bit of wear but no major damage that I could think of. Should I try cleaning the contacts with a bit of sand paper and contact cleaner? could it be something to do with the points? I got spark on all 4 but when I ran it, it ran on 1 cylinder so im back to square 1.

looking back to the begining of your posts and sounds like a problem i also had with my engine. have you tryed backing the low speed needles down til they stop (screw in dont crank on them) and turning them back out i believe its 1 1/4 turns. the engine should react to this. put your needle caps back on and if the engine reacts good then all you need to do is adjust the needles on the rail for lean or rich. ide also change your plugs when you do this. you should have OEM plugs in it or champion J4C.

IMPERIAL16

Cadet

after looking at the blow up picture on ***************** your carb only has 2 low speed needles. im not sure how those work for turn in and turn out. i know experts on here will know. but i would still do what i said unless some one says other wise. turn those in and turn them out and change the plugs

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ah okay, thanks, would J4C plugs still be made? they sound like an old plug, but thanks, I will have to try that