lower engine cover hole? 88' 20,25,30,35 johnson/evinrude

what is the purpose of the stamped out hole beneath the carb on the lower engine cover?, also what if the hole isnt cut out? mine isnt looks like a inlet for fresh ram air ;)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: lower engine cover hole? 88' 20,25,30,35 johnson/evinrude

Perhaps on previous model years there was a hole there to let air in.----Air may come in at the top of the cowling on yours.----No such thing as " ram air " on that 2 stroke model.

i just have a standard pull start dont know how air gets in? wonder if it would hurt to cut it out since i upgraded the intake manifold and carb or should i leave it?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Depending on the year, the air intake may be in the rear of the top cowling, behind the plastic horsepower/logo bit below the grab handle. Later cowlings had the air there, earlier ones had it in the belly pan under the carb. The outline for the belly pan hole is still there as they didn't change the casting any more than they had to to change the location. I learned this the hard way when I tried to put an early cowling onto a later motor and inadvertently close off all air intakes! Drove me nuts till I figured that one out... Not certain, but I suspect they did it to move the noise source to the back of the motor to make it a bit quieter.

THANK YOU chinewalker! that makes total sense couldnt figure out why on earth they would close it up haha goin to garage now to investigate the hood ;)