Missing part on Evinrude 25 hp engine

justduff

Cadet
There is a plastic part on top of the engine, by the flywheel. It is white and apparently broken. There is a spring under it. Does anyone know what it is and where I can get one?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Missing part on Evinrude 25 hp engine

Could you post a model number?
It sounds like the interlock, but the model number will have the information needed to look it up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Interlock for the recoil starter.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up your motor. Good parts diagrams.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Look it up on -----shop.evinrude.com-----Order from your local dealer if you feel you need this safety item.----Perhaps it was removed because of motor issues ?

justduff

Cadet

Could you post a model number?
It sounds like the interlock, but the model number will have the information needed to look it up.

Model # 25502B . It is the interlock, but I can't find it on any diagram.

justduff

Cadet

Look it up on -----shop.evinrude.com-----Order from your local dealer if you feel you need this safety item.----Perhaps it was removed because of motor issues ?

Interlock for recoil starter is not on any diagram I've found. Thank you though. Also, there is not a local dealer. Although I may have to drive to where there is one.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I just came back from shop.evinrude and found it under cylinder and crank case. Items # 77 & 50.

justduff

Cadet

Thank you everyone. It was right there. Boobie told me twice. I finally believed.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Outboards are " quite special "--------Lots of folks have ideas about them.----Then they ask questions and won't believe answers from folks with 40 + years of know how.

justduff

Cadet

Outboards are " quite special "--------Lots of folks have ideas about them.----Then they ask questions and won't believe answers from folks with 40 + years of know how.

I'm a believer now. I started the engine, in spite of the missing part. Not sure that missing part is important for the purpose of operation. It started right up after 6 years of sitting in the desert sun. It runs fine, and then every 3 or 4 seconds, it misses. Since I am new to this, I wanted to get professional opinions. Could this possibly be an air leak (I checked the mixture), or does it sound more like an ignition problem? Or neither of the above?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Statement ---" I checked the mixture "---means nothing in itself.---How did you check the mixture ????---What did you do ????

justduff

Cadet

Statement ---" I checked the mixture "---means nothing in itself.---How did you check the mixture ????---What did you do ????

The suggested ratio of gas to 2 cycle engine oil is supposed to be 50 to 1. I measured it at 50 to 1.

justduff

Cadet

The suggested ratio of gas to 2 cycle engine oil is supposed to be 50 to 1. I measured it at 50 to 1.

I looked it over again (it's in storage), and I found that it didn't have the linkage (two plastic pieces and a connecting rod (parts 19, 20 and 22 on the carb. diagram). Making progress.