1964 Johnson 5.5 (CD-21) SUCCESS! and Thank You!

RWJIII

Cadet
Thank you to those on this forum, for the great information, posts and threads, and those that responded to my threads and queries. You are a great bunch of people!

1964 Johnson 5.5 (CD-21)
Rebuilt Carb, new float, New Water Impeller, Fuel Pump, New Fuel Hoses, New Spark Plugs, Lower Unit Oil, New Ignition, Fuel Bowl Filter, Rebuilt throttle linkage, TLC, etc. And, thankfully, not a seized or broken bolt!
Well, it's done! And runs better than ever. Than ever!!, as far as I can remember. It always had a problem idling down...
When I got it running today, It fired right up, and after running it a while, it would still not idle down below "start" on the throttle without it dying, turning the idle needle with the lean/rich control did not help, I pulled off the linkage, and really started messing with the idle needle, found out at 1.5 turns open, where I had set it per several suggestions, it was way too rich. Following some experimentation, at mid adjustment, it is now about 3/4 of a turn, and idles down like a dream! And the engine just runs better, through the whole powerband. Like a smooth machine! I always had people say to me, oh those old Johnsons can really idle down, I just agreed with them... I know now! I can move the throttle right down past SLOW, it is great! What a machine! I love all SAE fasteners, no metric....

History if you are interested. My father bought this engine new when I was 3 years old. We used to rent a blue/green 14 foot (?) plywood boat at San Pedro, and go out in the ocean...My dad liked the reliability of his own engine, (as opposed to the rentals) The swells were often moving faster than we were. :lol: But we had a great time, and never broke down! He always washed it out very well with fresh water, drained the gas, etc. We went several times over the years. When I was 10, he passed away, and the motor became mine. I did not use it for a long time, but did run it in a barrel now and then... Probably with old gas. :facepalm: But Kept it running. :) When I was 16, we put it on a friends boat...did some lake fishing, etc. When my wife and I got married, we went lake fishing with the motor a few times (used an old 10 foot Jon boat) had a lot of fun, (she caught most of the fish) but no trolling, it would not idle down. With one person in the jon boat, it would plane, was fun. Kids and a larger boat came along, with an '86 Johnson 25, the little 5.5 was regaled to a shelf in the garage. It was on the shelf for about 28 years, this year (the motor being 50 years old) I got it down, and fixed it up, and with great results, I have a 12 foot Lund that I have put it on, and I look forward to trolling, especially now that it idles down! :cool:

I encourage any of you to get that little motor that has been sitting around, and get it going! What a great feeling.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: 1964 Johnson 5.5 (CD-21) SUCCESS! and Thank You!

congrats!! always a nice feeling to bring one back to its former glory. those are well built motors and should last for many years to come!!