Glue Line Water leak 150 Intruder - Date Evinrude changed manfuring to correct issue

Texasfatfish

Cadet
I'm seeing that early 150 HP Intruders have had a problem with a water leak occuring in the upper right cyclinders along a "Glue Line". I also see that Evinrude addressed the issue and fixed it in newer models. I 'm not sure if the 1995 model (manufactured in 1994) I have was made after Evinrude had addressed the issue. I've posted other comments/question on this motor trying to get some insight to a problem resleaving the engine due to the top two right cyclinders being galled badly. The block was though to have been warped. I purchased a boat with the engine on it and knew it wasn't running. I'm trying to salvage it and have already done some extinsive work to it. It was originaly though the galling was an oil issue tied to the VRO pump but that is now in question. Before I go any further with the rebuild I need to know if the block on this 1995 model had the glue line that was subject to leaking. If it does then I will need to have it pressure tested before going any further. Being the blocks been resleved in the two mentioned holes, overboard 20 thou in all six and six new pisons instaled with new bearing I don't want to fire this thing up to have it repeat the damage that may or maynot have been a result of the glue line leaking. The previous owner tells me the motor did get hot at the time the damage occured. An alarm did go off but he couldn't say which it was, water or oil. The left bank of cyclinders showed to have had large amounts of oil while the right side looked starved for oil when we openned them up. Seeing this we assumed it was an issue with the oil mixture and the VRO pump. Any Comments are apreciated.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Glue Line Water leak 150 Intruder - Date Evinrude changed manfuring to correct is

This problem did not get "fixed" until the 2001-2002 models and is still not 100%. To pressure test it motor must be disassembled and if leaking at internal glue line, sleeves will need to be removed, block welded and machined and new sleeve/s reinstalled.:blue: Iwill not build a customer 60degree unless its pressure tested first!!!!

Last edited:

Texasfatfish

Cadet
Re: Glue Line Water leak 150 Intruder - Date Evinrude changed manfuring to correct is

Speaking with a motor rebuilder, he said I should have seen rust inside the engine if it were a water leak. I did not see any water inside the motor when it was pulled down. It had set over a year before I opened it up and it showed no sign of rust inside the two cyclinders that had been galled so badly or anywhere inside for that matter. He also said that he felt the issue was the lack of oil from the VRO pump. The fact the bottom cylinder on the same side was twenty lbs PSI lower than each of those in the left bank also suggest that the bottom piston was going down when the motor was shut down.
I sure had hoped the way the blocks were cast had changed by 1994, oh well.
Thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

[QUOTESpeaking with a motor rebuilder, he said I should have seen rust inside the engine if it were a water leak.][/QUOTE]
Nope as when engine reaches operating temp the seam expands and dumps pressurized(few cc's) water into rear of sleeve where it delutes the fuel /oil charge causing piston to scuff, as the more its ran more aluminum is transfered to sleeve which takes the cylinder/s down. A VRO pump cannot select cylinders to fail on, if it went lean on oil all cylinders would be lean also, and rod /main journals would have a bluing tint to them. All I can say in cross fingers!!!

Texasfatfish

Cadet

The machine shop I've used to bore/resleeve the block doesn't have the ability to presure test the glue line for it leaking. Any suggestions on finding someone in the Austin Texas area that could do the test?

I also check the Evinrude manuel on the cyclinders on one side being starved of oil while the other side has more than needed. I see that as you stated that it can't happen. Don't know why at this point I would give any concideration to what this mechanic I've got myself involved with on anything he says. As you said - it can't happen.
Thanks,
Fat Fish