grey oil and water lower unit johnson 85esl73m

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How do you clean inside your lower units when water and oil is "mixed" together? i have now drained it as much as i can the normal way. first ting that hit me is to set air pressure on top hole, and let it blow out bottom oil-hole? diesel may work well to kind of flush inside lower unit as the sludge was nasty? k

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: grey oil and water lower unit johnson 85esl73m

If you are talking about the gear housing, a little diesel or kerosene will clean out the sludge pretty good.

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class

then i'll go for the diesel,had to check as i have never had problems with nasty sludge before now on all outboards i have owned. thanks.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you are talking about the gear housing, a little diesel or kerosene will clean out the sludge pretty good.

If you are getting grey oil and sludge in your gear box, you are getting water in there from somewhere. It will only get worse if you do not reseal things now. New seals, gaskets and 'O' rings are called for I believe.

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class

after looking closer at it,its not sludge but old oil and water. its light brown kind of. will change them seals with impeller and such. thanks.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer

after looking closer at it,its not sludge but old oil and water. its light brown kind of. will change them seals with impeller and such. thanks.

I am in the middle of changing my water pump currently. Waiting for the pump kit to come in. I will be changing my housing, impeller, gaskets, seals, 'o' rings etc. too. My kit for a 1965 75 h.p. Evinrude was $230 to $260 everywhere. I lucked out and found it on e-bay for $65 with shipping ( the entire kit with the right part number). Got lucky as the guy had two of them and I bought the last one. Would have bought both of them for the price if he still had both! Good luck getting yours all sealed so the sludge don't happen again.

amarcil77

Seaman Apprentice

Kind of glad I just found this thread. I have the same motor. Yesterday I changed my lower unit oil and found the same thing. Do you have the part number for that reseal kit. All I can find us the water pump kit

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class

all i can se on parts sites,is that few o-rings on gear shaft. Have to look into this today. I have heard that this 85esl73m need to be put in forward gear so that the lower unit will slide down? I tryed when engine in neutral,but the lower unit is stuck. I have remowed the total 6 screws but can be moved only about 2-3 millimeters. I dont remember where,but i stumbled over a text that stated it has to be in forward-gear to remove the unit. can someone confirm this?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Gear shift position does NOT matter on these at all.----------You have disconnected the shift rod behind the lower carburetor ?----5/8" wrench required to take out one bolt.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

put a bolt back in, you dont want it hanging by the shift shaft bolt

Dali30

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes i disconnected the shift rod right below lower carb. It still does not separate more than 2-3 millimeters. i figured i try to start it and shift between gears,maybe its corroded and will loosen that way. then try to remove it.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I have a ? That's kinda on the same topic and sense I'm new to this board and can't figure out how to start a new thread I will just post it here. I have a 1973 50hp Johnson power shift2. What type of oil do I use in the lower unit? And where do I buy it at?

AFAIK it uses an SAE 80W/90 outboard engine gear oil ... (unless anyone says type C because it is a hydraulically assisted gear change)

You start new threads by going back to the board index, using the breadcrumb trail at the top of the page, and clicking on the "New topic" box.

It is bad form ( and against the rules) to high-jack old threads!