0 compression on one cylinder 1996 Johnson 115

gonefishing65

Recruit
Is on 17ft stratos, boat takes a little longer to get on plain and does 35 miles per hour and normally would do 55 miles per hour. I've pulled the head and cylinders and pistons look fine. Replaced fuel line and pump bulb, fresh fuel with sea foam, and new spark plugs, starts fine and idles fine, can you offer advise,,,, Dave

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 0 compression on one cylinder 1996 Johnson 115

What's the head gasket look like ?? You said 0 compression on one cylinder.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Model # is required !!-------Possibly the bypass cover can be removed for inspection.-----With 0 compression either you gauge failed or there certainly is something wrong on the motor !!!!

Bosunsmate

Admiral

what were your others at?
How much play is the piston at tdc compared to the others? When at tdc, press on the piston head and see if it gives much more than the others

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Model numbers are key here. OMC made two distinctly different 115's this year. The looper used Orings in place of the head gasket, so it's likely that you have the older crossflow type engine. So, a closer examination of the 0 compression cylinder is in order. Likely the rings have lost their ability to make compression. With the head off, put the 0 compresson cyl at top dead center. Those pistons do move somewhat inside the cyl liners. You can slightly move the piston by hand around inside the cyl, looking closely at the top ring. Would be interesting to know if it is still completely intact, or is broken and missing. You did not mention that there was any damage or pitting on the crown of the piston or the head face. Maybe not. In any event, you will need to replace that ringset, hone that cyl. At that point of complete teardown, you might as well repl all the ringsets. I went through this same single cyl "no compression" scenario a number of years ago on a V6. The skirt of pistons accumulated excess carbon, preventing the cooling gas/oil mixture from getting to the rings. While the two rings did not break, they overheated inside one cyl and stuck inside the block at about 4000 rpm's. Result: 0 compression. I received no warning horn, as the block was cooling normally-just not the combustion chamber. So, you are headed for an overhaul. One thing to check when you have the block apart. Visually check the intake and esp the exhaust ports area to make sure the ribs between the ports are not cracked.

Last edited:

daselbee

Commander

I would think that a cylinder with 0 compression would definitely have some very visible signs of damage.
The fact that he indicates he can see nothing wrong is very odd.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

With "0" compression, I would think there would be a huge hole in the piston or even the head. Even a piston with no rings would yield a little compression, and even a completely blown head gasket or cracked head or block would too. Something is not right with this scenario. But I will keep watching to see what is the cause.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Agreed----- It should be fairly obvious as to what is wrong with 0 compression.-----Perhaps the original poster can show some pictures as that would help !

daselbee

Commander

^^^^^Yup. should be very visible.

Possible the OP doesn't know what to look for regarding damage.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree + 1 with the above..................

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Zero compression.... new head gasket installed.... still zero compression? Poster needs to state in detail the condition of the underside of the cylinder head, the cylinder walls and the piston in comparison with the other cylinders. Pictures would be a big help!

Normal correction of this problem would require a complete overhaul judging by what I've read so far.