1957 johnson RD 19

Relic1957

Cadet
Hey folks, I am new to the site and to forums. I have purchased a 1957 35 hp johnson and I am just starting to get into it. I have pulled the flywheel and changed points, condensors, and coils (which where pretty ugly). My question is how hard is it to make this thing a electric start? My arm is ready to call off, or should I just keep plugging away and try and get it so it will start with one or 2 pulls.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 johnson RD 19

Is it on a stand or boat? The 35s are a bear to pull over on a stand!

It is not difficult to change over to electric start, if you can wrangle up the parts. Sometimes easier to sell it and simply get an electric start version. The Javelin of '57 is one of my favourites!

What is the compression on the motor? Will the spark now jump a 1/4" gap with a bright blue ZAP!!??

Relic1957

Cadet

It is on a stand, the boat is up at the cottage. Trying to restore the boat and I finally found the motor that was on the boat when my grandfather baught it back in 57. When I pull a plug and check the spark it snaps pretty loud, hard to tell pulling solo. Had my son pull it last week and after about 6 pulls it coughed and sputtered. I don't have a problem working on it, Ian used to working on stuff. I have a 28ft 1964 Chris Craft constellation the I wrestle every spring that's wood. Thank you for the response, I am wondering if I need a carb rebuild kit?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Does the compression relief work? It makes it easier to pull. Unfortunately, they actually start better with the compression relief disabled (if you are strong enough), therefor many have been removed.

As high Trim suggested, they are very difficult to rope over on a stand. You will find it easier once it is bolted down, as on a boat, so you can grab the rope with both hands and haul on it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Start with compression test always. The RDs will be in the 100 psi area, and should be equal.

If compression is ok, buy yourself a spark tester that is adjustable. Set it to 1/4" and test. Spark should jump that gap with a bright blue ZAP!! Holding plug to block tells diddly about spark quality.

Is fuel getting to the carb bowl? Can you hear it filling when you prime it? After pulling over, are the plugs wet? If you put pre mix in the cylinder, then pull it over, will it temporarily fire?

You will have a MUCH easier time starting it on a boat. I hate trying to pull start these on a stand.

Relic1957

Cadet

Thank you guys for the help, I had a Freind in for out of town and we spent 3 hrs trying to find out why no spark, we found the new coils I installed where not pushed into the coil all the way, once I corrected that, she fired up. Smoked like it was on fire but the head was not hot, ran for about 5 mins and died, so I think I just need to mess around with mix screws. Thanks for your help, it was a lot easier with someone using the handle bars on the back of it ( or what ever they are? ) when I pulled with 2 hands.