1983 Johnson reverse speed/power

Principal1

Recruit
I have a 1983 Johnson, how do I get more power in reverse? I pin the throttle back and still need more power. Suggestions?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 Johnson reverse speed/power

What control is on it ??

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Get a prop with the counter rotation pattern and use forward for reverse

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Most controls are set up so that you only get part throttle in reverse !!

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just curious - what is the reason you want power / speed in reverse? I'm thinking maybe just to get off the trailer? I have that issue as well. Both a Tinny and an I/O. It's my particular ramp. I always have to get on the tongue and push. The I/O has plenty of power, but its not good to churn up the water and ingest crap in the pump. Anyway, just curious.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Read post # 4 again and post a pic of it.

Principal1

Recruit

Just curious - what is the reason you want power / speed in reverse? I'm thinking maybe just to get off the trailer? I have that issue as well. Both a Tinny and an I/O. It's my particular ramp. I always have to get on the tongue and push. The I/O has plenty of power, but its not good to churn up the water and ingest crap in the pump. Anyway, just curious.

For docking purposes. When I pull into the dock I put in reverse to slow the momentum. I will post a picture of the throttle.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class

Every motor I've had has plenty of reverse power to slow forward momentum when going "no-wake" speeds. How fast are you approaching the dock? You must be flyin in there like you're stealing second base