2001 Evinrude 4-stroke 9.9 Won't start. Please help.

boy9216

Recruit
I'm very new to outboards and just purchased one. When buying the motor, it started up normally but since getting it home I've only gotten it to start once.

The one time I did get it to start, it took probably 20-30 pulls. When it did start, it ran perfect. I could then turn it off and with one pull it would start back up immediately. Since then I haven't been able to get it started. I choke it, prime it, and it won't go. I put in new spark plugs but no luck. I also noticed my gas tank has an air vent on the cap, should that be opened up or close?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I've looked through the FAQ board on this forum but haven't found anything really particular to my engine which is why I'm hoping you guys might know more.

Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2001 Evinrude 4-stroke 9.9 Won't start. Please help.

First thing to do is check your compression. Then the spark. It should jump a 3/8" open air gap on a spark tester. The air vent has to be open.

Last edited:
G

You need to ensure that vent is open when starting/running outboard. Before starting the outboard press the primer bulb until it is firm then try starting it. ensure you kill switch set to on position. Carb maybe a little gunked up so if you cant get it started just raising the throttle about 5-10% power and try starting it again

Welcome to the forum

boy9216

Recruit

Thanks weimed! I'll try that tomorrow, any resources on how to clean carbs?

G

Thanks weimed! I'll try that tomorrow, any resources on how to clean carbs?

Boobie makes a great point. You want to buy/rent/borrow a compression tester and test it. Result will give you an idea on the condition of the motor. Spark is a really good test to do but i never done it because i was always able to start my outboards. I keep hearing about the magic of seafoam that helps clean the carb. Try it

Last edited: