1975 70hp Johnson Choke Plunger drops Out

dfloeter

Recruit
So I have this old but strong 70hp Johnson that runs well once started but sometimes is a challenge. The electric choke was working flawlessly for years but now occasionally the plunger will pop out of the solenoid when the switch is pushed requiring manually choking with the engine cowl off.

I have not seen any reason for the plunger to jump free and do want to avoid buying parts to troubleshoot. Am I missing a retainer spring or something?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 70hp Johnson Choke Plunger drops Out

The 50 HP models had a bracket with a fork on it.----Designed to control a runaway plunger.-----Look that up on the parts diagrams and you can probably fabricate that item.

dfloeter

Recruit

The 50 HP models had a bracket with a fork on it.----Designed to control a runaway plunger.-----Look that up on the parts diagrams and you can probably fabricate that item.

I found something like that on Ebay. I am fairly certain the solenoid has never had a retainer of any type but does for whatever reason need one now. This is something that can be made. In my Clymer manual, troubleshooting specs are listed giving the resistance within the solenoid. I can check with an ohm meter while at it.

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Maybe the solenoid is not adjusted properly on your motor ?----Was it removed recently ? ------Big part of the plunger should stick out 3/16" when not energized.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

In agreement with "racerone". I also suspect that the choke solenoid has been slightly slid in its bracket, allowing the plunger to pop out when the voltage is released.

dfloeter

Recruit

The simplest solution once again. I will check the solenoid placement this weekend. I have loosened the bracket and likely did not return it exactly to the same spot. I will report my findings. Thanks