lower unit removal from Johnson J6RER

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: lower unit removal from Johnson J6RER

did you disconnect the shift shaft linkage?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

There is a shift rod.-----It does not have any lingkages to disconnect on it !!

bobbieC

Recruit

There is a shift rod.-----It does not have any lingkages to disconnect on it !!

according to manual remove three bolts from lower unit, I have noticed several articles about "stuck" drive shafts being soaked with WD-40 and shaft removal tools

racerone

Supreme Mariner

What I do is make an adapter for a slide hammer.---Usually pulls the stuck driveshafts out on a model where driveshaft pulls out of lower unit.-Always use grease on the splines when installing lower unit !!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the lower unit is still on, give it a few raps with a big rubber mallet. Don't hit it on the anti-vent plate.

4evercovered

Recruit
hi, i have same prob with 1976 25 hp johnson which looks like it has an extension fitted, any ideas please?, regards

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a plate on the side of the exhaust housing.----Remove 2 screws to remove that plate.----------Then REMOVE the lower screw in the brass connecter.

4evercovered

Recruit
Thank you Captain Racerone, sorted!. Pump housing/impeller in a right mess so a few �'s needed on this one, it's true what they say "there's a reason why it's for sale" but i love a challenge. What i need now is a manual for this little ****er, i have tried locating one but to no avail, can anyone point me in the right direction please?.................1976 25 hp Seahorse Johnson:- Model; 25BA76E, Serial; B12263. New to this as i say, so do i have to go to a different forum to ask about other issue with this motor?, thanks again racerone. I feel apart of the crew now, cheers!