prop shaft seals renewal - 1994 oceanrunner 250

adg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
ok, I have come a lot further than I ever imagined - now I am replacing the prop shaft seals in the back of the housing. I was able to pop them out after a bit of work. Below where the seals were there is a little hole just above the needle bearing - see my question in the picture..

propshaftbearing.jpg

In order to insert the 2 back to back seals in the housing; is it ok to use normal prop shaft grease or must it specifically be gasket compound? Can anyone explain?

Furthermore I have replaced the old anode...

anode.jpg

After this I will try to put all together again.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: prop shaft seals renewal - 1994 oceanrunner 250

the hole is an oil return. your seal will only go to the lip which is about 1/16" prior to the needle beairng.

I use permatex #3 on the seal to housing surface to ensure that the seal is sealed to the housing, and I use a bit of greast ( the same greese I pump into the trailer wheels ) to lubricate the seal lips for riding on the shaft.

adg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: prop shaft seals renewal - 1994 oceanrunner 250

Thx Scott,

i bought myself the same permatex #3 this morning and put this on the outside of the seals. After that I put them in the housing. With propellor shaft grease on the lips of the seals I put it over the propellor shaft. Went very smooth.

thx again for yr advice.