1996 Johnson 225 venom COMPRESSION

I noticed an issue with power to my motor several times I took it out. So I did a compression check and if you're standing behind the motor the top left cylinder read 0 compression, but has spark, what is the issue and what are my best options?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 Johnson 225 venom COMPRESSION

If indeed that cylinder has zero compression, remove the cylinder head so that you can inspect the seal/gasket, piston, and cylinder wall. Hopefully you simply have a blown seal/gasket.

FYI.... Standing in back of the engine and looking at the spark plugs, the cylinders are numbered as follows:

Port.....Starboard

Last edited:

Thanks for the quick reply and the info! if it isn't the seal then what do you think it would be. But if it is the seal would this be why my motor has only been able to get to about 4400 rpm?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes, but pull the head.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Piston ring locating pin migrated out and dumped rings, common problem on closed deck blocks, impeller is likely several seasons old.Other 5 will soon follow....

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Piston ring locating pin migrated out and dumped rings, common problem on closed deck blocks, impeller is likely several seasons old.Other 5 will soon follow....

What?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

C&P from Mar-Fab:
"Approximately 70% of the 90 degree closed-deck loopers we receive for machine work need repair because of piston ring dowel pin migration.This typically occurs when cylinder/piston temperatures are sustained at slightly over their threshold for extended running periods. As a result, the aluminum piston lets go of the steel dowel pin in the top ring groove. The pin will usually leave a notch or groove above the corresponding fingerport in the sleeve. In several cases, exhaust port damage will result from the top ring trying to exit out the
exhaust port.This occurs when the dowel pin forces the top ring gap open while the pin is exiting the piston.The cause of dowel pin migration in these cases is not a defective piston, but a lackof water (coolant) in particular areas of the block, resulting in elevated temperatures in the cylinder/ piston. By modifying the cooling passages around the cylinders(fitch style), dowel pin migration has been significantly improved. MarFab has been doing cooling modifications since mid-summer of 2001.We have had no returns with dowel pin migration thus far." This is why impeller needs serviced year no matter how good its pumping,non modified blocks need to keep the internal water pressure and flow high to cool block internally. 90% of the time if a piston looses a pin ,inspection will show the others have shifted also thus the need to replace the other ones. Testing has shown the Mallory impeller the best choice as different compound and will have 2-4 psi improvement over OEM and Serria and works great in the Fitch engines.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

An excellent read Fazt.
I wonder what modifications they do as all motors ive worked on have quite wide open channel around the cylinder for water too flow

daselbee

Commander

An excellent read Fazt.
I wonder what modifications they do as all motors ive worked on have quite wide open channel around the cylinder for water too flow

Hah!!!! now you have done it Bosun....this has been argued here and elsewhere to death.

I have reverse engineered the mods. PM me for the details.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Its a easy mod if you know where to drill and install stuffers...

Finally able to get back. I pulled the head and the #2 piston had a hole in it. How much is a repair for this. Should I sell it? What's it worth like this?