2001 Johnson 150

tomogg

Cadet
Just bought a 2000 Wellcraft 210 Sportsman that was submerged in fresh water for less than 8 hours. The motor, a 2001 Johnson 150, was pickled, turned over and oiled but has no spark. Knowing this is a shot in the dark, with so many different reasons? Would anyone have any ideas what would need fixing/changing? Is it worth it to fix, or should I scrap motor and buy a rebuilt one? Since the boat came with either a 150 or 200, I would rather have a 200, or a 225 or 250. If I fix it, would it run like it wasn't submerged, and can I trust it offshore in the Gulf of Louisiana? Or Mexico..... Owner says it needs complete rewiring, but I can buy another harness for under $200 and do it myself. Have more time than money.... Thanks!

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 2001 Johnson 150

The Issue is when was it pickled....HOW long after it came up?? if it was picked two days after it came up....that's bad...if it was pickled the hour it came up...then that is good...sure may lose some of the electricals..maybe not........but once its running and it didn't have a chance to rust up....thus ruining many bearing surfaces...then it should be fine down the line.....

then, youll have to believe what the tell you.....if you get it running, t should be worth something,and you can trade up

bob

tomogg

Cadet

Thanks Bob. My local mechanic who is extremely honest said if it is a model other tan an Offshore such as an ficht it would not be worth it to repair, those parts are sky high. I see this same boat with a good motor going for $15,000 to $20,000 or so. This boat shows very nice, a tandem axle trailer with brakes, paid $3300. So if I buy a rebuilt 150-200 for about $6000 I will have half the worth in it.

If the title is salvage, I won't be able to sell for as much. Says it comes with a clear VA. title on boat and trailer. Will know late tomorrow more info. I would rather keep it, as I prefer salt water, living 15 miles from the Gulf.

tomogg

Cadet

My mechanic said even though Wellcraft builds great boats, they are prone to sinking more than other makes. Guess I will have to stay close to oil rigs....

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Thanks Bob. My local mechanic who is extremely honest said if it is a model other tan an Offshore such as an ficht it would not be worth it to repair, those parts are sky high. I see this same boat with a good motor going for $15,000 to $20,000 or so. This boat shows very nice, a tandem axle trailer with brakes, paid $3300. So if I buy a rebuilt 150-200 for about $6000 I will have half the worth in it.

If the title is salvage, I won't be able to sell for as much. Says it comes with a clear VA. title on boat and trailer. Will know late tomorrow more info. I would rather keep it, as I prefer salt water, living 15 miles from the Gulf.
you could probably buy a nice used E-tech in 150 HP for $6K!!!!!!! a rebuilt V6 60 degree looper motor should b way less than $6K

bob

racerone

Supreme Mariner

A lot depends on who did what after recovery.------It is important to get it running ASAP as per the owners manuals.-------If it was left to sit for a few days then internal rust happens very quickly.----Motor may run and sound OK.--------Then suddenly come to a " dynamic halt " one day.--------------I would say take the motor apart for complete inspection / repair if reliability for off shore is an issue.--------Then you know what you have.