1956 Johnson FD-10 and 1957 CDL-14

mattk715

Recruit
First off, I am not a very mechanically inclined person.

About 5 years ago I bought a 12' boat. He threw in two engines that were winterized but he did not know if they worked or not. I kept them in my garage but never had any need for them (the lake I usually fished in was restricted to electric motors only). I just moved close to some larger lakes and thought I'd see if these engines worked. I looked up the model numbers and the motors are a

1956 Johnson FD-10S and a 1957 CDL-14

I was able to start both of them up today, but both leaked what I assume is the winterizing fluid, it wasnt the oil/gas mix, but I'm worried if i ran them longer that the gas would start leaking out. Should I be worried?

Both motors appear to be clean and in good condition on the inside. the cases are a little beat up but no cracks or anything.
Are parts for these motors difficult to find?
Are these motors worth anything in working condition?
Any help would be very much appreciated.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 Johnson FD-10 and 1957 CDL-14

parts for both of those are still readily available.

Im not sure what you mean by leaking winterizing fluid? Where were they leaking from?

They are not worth a lot money wise, but are great fun to run and own. If you are looking at mechanically restoring them, then flipping them, don't plan on getting rich.

If you plan on keeping them, start by testing compression. The FD will be in the 90 to 140 psi range, and should be equal between cylinders. The CD will have less, in the 70 to 100 psi range, but again should be equal.

Then test spark. Spark should jump a 1/4" gap on a tester with a bright blue ZAP!! If the coils are original, they will be cracked and need to be replaced. You can see the ignition if you remove the recoil starter, then remove the access door on top of the flywheel.

Sitting that long, the water pumps will need to be replaced, as well as potentially the fuel line, and the gear oil with new crush washers.

This is the minimum, the rest will need further inspection.

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First off, I am not a very mechanically inclined person.
I was able to start both of them up today, but both leaked what I assume is the winterizing fluid, it wasnt the oil/gas mix....
Are parts for these motors difficult to find?
Any help would be very much appreciated.

If the fluid you saw was a blue or grey sludge, it's likely to have been unburned oil/gas mix...

All the "consumable" parts (coils, points, condensers, carb kits, gaskets, pump impellers) are available today new, often from both BRP (which bought OMC) and from third parties like Sierra (which can be ordered by NAPA stores), and can be ordered here at iboats, and many other online sites. There are also a number of good places you can get "New Old Stock" or used parts. You'll find the parts diagrams for your engines invaluable, which gives the part numbers. On-line versions are available at m a r i n e e n g i n e . c o m (without the spaces). Click on BOAT ENGINE PARTS.

I was never much of a mechanic (the biggest automotive job I ever did was replace a starter motor),
but old OMC motors like yours can easily be worked on by mortals like you or I.

I started by reading these articles:
Duckworks Magazine
which were written from the perspective of home boatbuilders getting engines without breaking the bank.

They were printed as a book:
Cheap Outboards: The Beginner's Guide to Making an Old Motor Run Forever: Max Wawrzyniak: 9781891369629: Amazon.com: Books

Another good site:
OMC outboard related articles
Especially these:
Maintaining Johnson E & FD Serie
Johnson

You'll find your engines are similar in many regards (carb design, magneto), so instructions for a different HP or year may still be applicable.

Finally, don't be tempted to SKIMP on oil!

Last edited:

mattk715

Recruit

Thanks for the advice guys, I have the 15 hp motor at a place that works with antiques since its the one ill use the most. I'll have the 5.5 as the one I learn on.

Two more questions. These motors use the old two tube fuel line and pressure gas tank. The tank I have is somewhat rusted and the only ones I can find are expensive ones on Ebay. I've been reading up on converting these to the more modern style.
Should I have these converted?
Does anyone make the pressurized gas tanks anymore? My line and connector look to be in good shape so I shouldn't need new ones there.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

There are still plenty of good ones out there. Place a wanted ad at aomci.org in the webvertize section. A local member to you will be able to help out.