1972 18 hp Evinrude hard start keeps flooding van backfires

eloham1979

Cadet
Hi I have a 1972 Evinrude 18 horse on a 14 ft a friend left me to use for the summer he said it sat for a few years I checked fire it had weak fire on one so I replaced the old wires and the points and both coils eventually I did not use new coils but got the same result I cleaned the carb it has a brand new kit an I have got it to run it smoked like a pig for a while an cleared up an ran well the next day it would not start it backfired at me I pulled the plugs an they where soaked an had lost fire I then put this set of coils in used an same result it runs an runs rough at low rpm put smooths right out under throttle but it was starting to backfire an sheared the keyway so I replaced it got it to run again an I noticed there is a vacuum line under the carb that goes to the upper cylinder an I noticed it has gas in it it seems to be a one way valve in the intake not sure the valve seems to be working not sure why it keeps flooding it has raw fuel in intake manifold an I went back in an tweaked the float at this point I don't really want to bend it to much more as I felt like the amount I tried was a lot it runs great under a load as well just low an an all parts in carb are new except float an it is good the carb is spotless any clue's

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1972 18 hp Evinrude hard start keeps flooding van backfires

Is your primer bulb holding firm?
hows compression?

eloham1979

Cadet

Is your primer bulb holding firm?
hows compression?

compression is strong the primer ball does seem to lose prime after it's off I went along earlier an an tightened all the clamps to make sure I did not have a air leak I did have a slight leak at the carb wear the fuel line connected I removed factory style clamp an put a hose clamp on it it ran rough for a minute an then under a little throttle cleared up after about ten minutes it was loaded up I adjusted the lean screw started at 1 1/2 an tweaked it down to about 1 or 3/4 it was peaked out good but it is driving me a little crazy as when it runs it gave the impression you fixed it an then it backfired an shear the key way lol I fixed that an was wonder what to do next as it has great fire an good compression I have done many carb kits an I know it should not have raw fuel dripping from the vacuum port under carb it seems to be a float issue but booth needle an seat are new an it looks like some one an tried to bend it some before I was surprised with the amount of bend an the fact that it seem to be flooding

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Might be your reeds too

eloham1979

Cadet

I was wondering I had the carb off earlier it looks really clean in there but something's up I did a compression check I have 110 on booth an has great fire can the reeds just be cleaned

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I was wondering I had the carb off earlier it looks really clean in there but something's up I did a compression check I have 110 on booth an has great fire can the reeds just be cleaned

Yep, look for cracking and any gunk holding them open

eloham1979

Cadet

thanks I will pull the carb an pull the intake an clean it good

eloham1979

Cadet

I pulled it apart it is the reeds I see light around quite a few of them thanks guys hope this gets her fixed up I have them out an they are out of whack I flattened them on a anvil an then used a center punch to dimple the middle they seem to be closed good now no light is this acceptable lol I have done simalar to chainsaws back in the day

Last edited: