Water intake screen replacement 72 Evinrude 18hp

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all,

I've started a new thread since my last one has pretty much been solved. Now on to the next problem. I've decided to try to replace the water intake screen 2014-04-14 22.58.05.jpg but how do I do it? I've ordered both the screen and plug 2014-04-14 22.57.38.jpg, but by looking at it, don't know how I'm gonna get the old plug out. Any tricks or ideas? Thanks a lot!!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water intake screen replacement 72 Evinrude 18hp

If I remember correctly, the plug is a flat disc, drill a small hole in it and use a scribe to pop it out.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

As I remember it, it is a thicker plug than that, pressed in. Drill a hole in it, tap threads in the hole, then use something like a slide hammer/dent puller to yank it out.

In all my years and way too many motors to count, I don't think I've ever replaced more than two or three of those screens, if that.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I gotta do all that to get it out, how am I supposed to get the new one in? Maybe I just wont bother. When the parts come in I'll look at them to see what they look like then maybe I'll get a clue on the job.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Clean up the screen with acetone to get the paint out and let it go at that.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you are worried about getting it in, trust me it is a lot easier than getting it out. Slide the new screen in, and follow with the plug. A few taps with a hammer puts the plug in.

I agree, if the screen is not missing or severely damaged, don't mess with it. Bent is not "severely damaged".

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Can I ask what is wrong with the current one?

That is something I don't think I have ever messed with!

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chris,

Nothing is really "wrong" with it. I just figured I'd replace it, the parts were available and cheap. Maybe I'll just clean it up though, like was said on here, forget it, and return the parts.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Actually quite simple to replace it.----What I have done is tapped the hole for a stainless set screw instead of the plug.-------------Would make replacement even easier should it ever need to be done again.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Oh yea I do remember that screen and plug. I replaced mine when rebuilding my 1976 Johnson 40HP. I drilled out the old plug and bought a new screen, really cheap too. Then I installed the new screen and installed a threaded plug with some epoxy type sealer. It was really easy to do. Oh and by the way, my old screen was pretty much gone too. That is why I replaced mine. And that plug is not just a hollow cap type either, like some freeze type plugs in engine blocks. Mine was a solid plug that had to be drilled out. Hope this helps you out!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Racer, do you mean you leave the plug out ??

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Original plug is thrown away.-------Stainless setscrew is installed

boobie

Supreme Mariner

How big is the set screw ??