Changing Power Pack 85 Johnson GT 150

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Curious about the wires that push on the coils.... Does it matter which coils they go on? I know the short one goes to the middle coil, but the other two are only about an inch difference in length. Does the longest oh to top or bottom? Or does it matter? I would think they fire in a sequence but don't really know ?

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Changing Power Pack 85 Johnson GT 150

its not how long they are its what color they are ( or/blue tracer #1) look in svc manual it shows the diagram.

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Shows they're all orange/black... So I guess it must not matter?

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Shows orange/blue from power pack, then goes into a premade connector and they all come out orange on the other side of it

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

My 86 factory manual should shows the standard wire routing for the three orange power pack wires on each head: orange wire with blue tracer goes to the top plug coil, the solid orange wire goes to the middle plug coil, the orange wire with the green tracer goes to the bottom plug coil. If you get them on the wrong coil, you will wind up with a violent backfire as the engine tries to run. You can see this wiring diagram on this website-check out the first thread at the top of the first Johnson/Evinrude forum page, called the "top secret" files. It has a 1985 color diagram that will confirm your wire routings.