Rough Idle on old Evinrude

boxchevyman

Seaman
I have a 1960 Evinrude lark 2 40 hp
I took a video of what I?m experiencing which I think might help describe my problem better than anything I can write. The audio is not good but every time you see the engine shake it like cuts out and it not throttle up it will die.

Link to YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1alp7oTeOw&feature=youtu.be

Some background info:
? Coils are not original and they are not cracked, have a date of ?75? stamped on them, appear to be in good condition.
? Points look ok and they are set to .020.
? New plugs that are set to .030.
? New spark plug wires and boots.
? Carb was taken apart and sprayed out with carb cleaner, but did not install carb kit.
? Carb was bench set.
? The wiring is a mess but the two coil ground wires are isolated and are not grounding out.

So I don?t have a clue. Any help would be appreciated.
James

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rough Idle on old Evinrude

What are the needles set at? Did you richen the low speed needle, to eliminate the lean sneeze?

boxchevyman

Seaman

I did turn the needle to the rich side at the end but it didn't seam to like it...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Forget about the numbers, they are irrelevant.

I saw in the other positing you had, that you just removed the low speed needle and sprayed carb cleaner in to clean. Did you after that clean it thoroughally by removing it, soaking, blowing out and rebuilding?

After clean, and rebuilt, seat both needles. Back the low speed out 1.5 turns from seated. High speed 3/4 from seated, then fine tune on water.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

At this point I would do a complete tune up,synk-n-link,compression test,and rebuild carb,not just clean it. Also the timing should be checked any time ya mess with the points. You should be able to find a manual in the stickys at the top of these forums. Them are good running motors when set up correctly.