Did a stupid thing to my outboard - Pivot pin evinrude 15hp

TheDL1

Cadet
First off...I'm not that knowledgeable about motors and yes, I realize this was stupid. Motor is a 1993 15HP evinrude

I went to change the lower unit oil last night (haven't done it before) and I accidentally took out the wrong screw :oops: . It wouldn't go back in, I moved the shift level from drive to neutral and it went right in. A buddy told me this was the 'pivot pin' that puts the transmission in gear and I likely didn't get it back into it's correct alignment. A quick google search on the subject confirms this was not a good screw to remove.

So...it does shift into forward and reverse now, which does seem to take the prop out of neutral spin. The prop does spin BOTH ways with some effort to turn it over in both forward and reverse. I've yet to start it up, but was thinking of starting it in the driveway (with the muffs on it) to see if it still spins the prop forward and backward.

A few questions for those who may know more about this:

Is it a bad idea to just start it up and pop it in gear as is to test?

Do I need to pull apart the lower unit to line this pivot pin back up or is there some way to do it easily?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Did a stupid thing to my outboard - Pivot pin evinrude 15hp

Not the end of the world! You usually do not need to disassemble the unit to put the pin back in. It's happened many times before and USUALLY you can align the hole in the shift fork in the hole in the casing and put the screw/pin back in.

What I would do: Drain the lower unit. Remove the screw and shine a light in the hole. Very slightly, move the shift handle and note where the hole in the shift fork is. A fine tipped awl or pin can help align it if needed.

TheDL1

Cadet

Not the end of the world! You usually do not need to disassemble the unit to put the pin back in. It's happened many times before and USUALLY you can align the hole in the shift fork in the hole in the casing and put the screw/pin back in.

What I would do: Drain the lower unit. Remove the screw and shine a light in the hole. Very slightly, move the shift handle and note where the hole in the shift fork is. A fine tipped awl or pin can help align it if needed.

Thanks Chinewalker! Any harm in starting it up and popping it in gear to see if I somehow did get it right already?

Can I assume if the prop spins clockwise in forward gear and counter in reverse that it is ok to put in the water and use?

It does seem to engage the prop when I put it in drive or reverse?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

TheDL1.......... If by turning the flywheel or spinning the prop, you can shift the unit into forward, neutral, and reverse back and forth a few times without any problems... such as shifting into forward and finding that the unit is still in neutral or reverse, then you are one of the lucky ones. You managed to get the pivot shoulder screw back where it belongs.

Hopefully although completely flustered, you did remember to fill the gearcase with lube. :)

Crank it up and go fishing or whatever you do with it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

If it shifts properly when it is not running then go buy a lottery ticket.-----Start it up and enjoy the motor.--------Changing the oil is such an easy job that " it can be done wrong " as you found out.----It is always best to ask questions first as you can make expensive mistakes on these motors.

TheDL1

Cadet

Wow, this is an incredible forum! I'm on lots of fishing forums, but the community response here is incredible!

Yes, I did remember to fill the gearcase with oil, hence why I'd like to start 'er up on the muffs to see if the gears work prior to draining the oil back out to try to re-align the pivot pin. I inquired with a buddy that knows more than I do when it first happaned (before I moved from forward to neutral and the pin went back in) and he later got back to me and said not to move gear shift, etc. He also stated that if I put the shifter in forward the prop should not spin counter clockwise and in reverse it should not spin clockwise. It now does, don't know if it did before, never tried it (I'm new to boating).

With the motor off, and in neutral prop spins freely with a finger pressure. Still off, it shifts into forward and reverse as it normally did and when I try to spin the prop it takes a fair amount of pressure to turn it and it will go both clockwise and counter clockwise in both forward and reverse gears...is that bad?

So...looks like I'm going to start it up in the driveway and see what's what. Safe to assume that if the prop spins the right direction in forward or reverse that it's back to normal or is it possible that the pivot pin is misaligned somehow and when there's a load on it (i.e. boating on the water) the gears could have problems? First trip is scheduled for this friday...brown trout on lake ontario...not the kind of place I want to have engine problems. Unfortunately there's no small lakes open yet for me to try this out on.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

With engine NOT running, and shifting into either forward or reverse gear... you should not be able to turn the propeller without having the flywheel turn.

I suggest you have the spark plug leads disconnected from the plugs when doing this to prevent a possible injury.

TheDL1

Cadet

With engine NOT running, and shifting into either forward or reverse gear... you should not be able to turn the propeller without having the flywheel turn.

I suggest you have the spark plug leads disconnected from the plugs when doing this to prevent a possible injury.

I think the flywheel is turning, but didn't open the cover to look. It felt like I was turning a flywheel/moving a piston as it wasn't really smooth/easy turning. Good point about the spark plugs...never thought of that.

So what about my experience with prop going both clockwise and counterclockwise when manually turned with engine off and in both fwd and rev?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Every thing sounds good.---Start the thing up !

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The prop will only turn freely a few degrees if it is in gear before the clutch lugs engage the gear lugs on whichever gear it is in. Turning the propeller any more than that will turn the powerhead over, in either direction. Your friend may have been thinking of Mercurys, which use ramped clutch dog and gears so they will turn one direction (with a pronounced clicking) but not the other.

I think the flywheel is turning, but didn't open the cover to look. It felt like I was turning a flywheel/moving a piston as it wasn't really smooth/easy turning. Good point about the spark plugs...never thought of that.

So what about my experience with prop going both clockwise and counterclockwise when manually turned with engine off and in both fwd and rev?

TheDL1

Cadet

I really appreciate all the feedback guys! Can't wait to get home tonite and hopefully start see that prop spin in gear! I will post back my results...hopefully all goes well.

TheDL1

Cadet

well, guess I should buy a lottery ticket...tried 'er out last night and seems to be spinning clockwise in fwd and counter in rev...hopefully it works right in the water.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

well, guess I should buy a lottery ticket...tried 'er out last night and seems to be spinning clockwise in fwd and counter in rev...

I have no idea what that means.