1963 Johnson Seahorse 28hp RX-11 Pivot pin/Linkage issue

Hello all,

I am having a slight issue with my older motor. Replaced the impeller and a seal on it recently, and cannot get the lower unit pivot pin to seat correctly, allowing me to put it into gear. I am wondering if there is a trick to this? If it will let me post the link here, the pin in question is # 17 on page #10 of this manual .http://www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/e/ea/Johnsonservice002.pdf . I dont know if there is a special trick, i.e. turn in 2x, stand on one foot, hop 2x,while holding my nose ,etc.... without disassembling the whole lower unit. i am stumped by this one and could really use help. FYI pin is in great shape. Thanks in advance for your help! Jay

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1963 Johnson Seahorse 28hp RX-11 Pivot pin/Linkage issue

That pivot pin is only taken out when lower cap is taken off.--------A common mistake is to remove it to drain the oil.-----------Lay the motor on it's side and see if you can see / find the hole in the shifter fork to re-install it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you didn't move the shifter at all, you may be ok. Otherwise....... ;)

May have to remove skeg to do.

Alrighty guys. I was able to get the lower unit pivot pin with no issues. However...I now have a NEW issue...(yay me)

Put the motor in a bucket today. Started , no issues...while running, I noticed NO water coming from the exhaust telltale. No water at all, not even a trickle. Is this normal? Engine was getting super hot near lower unit. I put as much water as I could in bucket, lower suction holes submerged. Took lower unit apart again and snaked any cooling related holes with thin wire. No gunk or obstructions.Ensured newly replaced impeller was intact and sitting properly. What am I missing? Please help. Thank you

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

are you sure its deep enough in the water? It has to have water well above the pump.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The pump is not self priming !---Water MUST be 6" above the pump in order to work !

Thanks guys!!! We thought we had it deep enough but apparently not. Going to dump her in the harbor when i get a chance and fire her up...will post results. thanks again