1998 Evinrude 25HP tiller conversion kill switch question

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,
I'm working on converting a remote-control 1998 Evinrude 25HP to tiller, and I have a question about the kill switch. The picture is from the OMC service manual. It shows the key switch wiring harness from the remote control, which I plan to continue to use with the tiller. Is the unlabeled switch-like thing in the middle of the yellow-red wire the kill switch? Or is that the neutral-start lock-out switch?
(I know it would be very helpful to include a model number, but model and serial numbers are missing on this motor.)
Thanks,
Lewis
EPSON098.jpg

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1998 Evinrude 25HP tiller conversion kill switch question

Neutral start switch

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks!

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So to get the NO kill switch properly connected, I put one leg on the yellow/red and one leg on the black? That way when the lanyard pulls the plastic fork/wedge doohickey (is there a name for that thing on the end of the lanyard?) off the NO switch, the red/yellow ignition wire is connected to ground, and the engine dies. Correct?
Thanks!
Lewis

Fed

Commander

Black/Yellow to ground in the OFF position.

See the two 'M' terminals in your picture in the OFF position.

Edit: Yellow/Red is the wire to operate the starter motor solenoid, nothing to do with the ignition.

Last edited:

Lewis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to the southern hemisphere contingent for two prompt and helpful answers!

Fed

Commander

It's all in the timing Lewis, we do sneak attacks from the Eastern Hemisphere while you're asleep. :)