1995 Johnson Fast Strike 150 Alarm Horn Killed Motor now wont Crank..

seppy61

Cadet
Hi there, I had out my Boat today and was having some trouble with my overheat alarm horn I assume, When I tried to get up on plane alarm would sound in a solid tone until I dropped rpms, engine was pumping water fine and was not hot oil ball primed up.. the 3rd time I tried to get on plane alarm sounded and boat bogged down and shut off and now the motor will not even crank when I try to start, just simply 'Clicks' once when I turn the ignition. Is there something that may need reset and also can my alarm horn be bad or maybe I have a thermostat issue? any info on why my alarm is going off or how to get my boat to start again is greatly appreciated. Thank You. Jesse

healey8390

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1995 Johnson Fast Strike 150 Alarm Horn Killed Motor now wont Crank..

If you haven't tried to turn the flywheel by hand try that and let us know if you can manually turn it.

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yep^^^^^ undo the spark plugs if you find it hard to turn, it should turn easy with them out, its quite hard with them in.
You will hear your water pump squeak a bit, dont try turning the key then as youl burn out your pump

Fed

Commander

1st problem.
Fuel vacuum switch setting off the alarm?
Make sure your tank is breathing properly & you have no blockages between the tank & the fuel pump.

2nd problem.
Bad power connection?
Battery terminals (2), starter solenoid (2 big ones), starter motor (1), main ground at block (1).

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class

by all means pull the plugs first, don't try to be superman on that small bolt,and turn it clockwise(that's the rotation of the engine).

seppy61

Cadet

Fly wheel spins freely. I do feel like my primer ball may be broken Inside could this have caused the alarm? And if so after boat bogged out and died why wont it crank? Thank you

Fed

Commander

I do feel like my primer ball may be broken Inside could this have caused the alarm?
Yes, your motor is fitted with a vacuum alarm switch.

And if so after boat bogged out and died why wont it crank?
It probably died because it ran out of fuel due to the blockage at the primer bulb or somewhere else between the tank & the fuel pump.
It won't crank because you have a problem with the starter motor system.

seppy61

Cadet

What is the "click" in the motor when i turn the ignition. Would that be my starter working correctly?

Fed

Commander

The click would be the starter motor solenoid energizing.

Fed

Commander

You can follow the basic circuitry in the diagram, disregard the text for jump starting.

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 0

seppy61

Cadet

Thanks for all of the help. I am going to work on it when i get home from work tomorrow. I will keep posted. Thanks again!

seppy61

Cadet

Pretty sure I have had a combination of things happen. I think my check valve broke in my primer ball making the alarm sound and boat die. Then in coincidence my starter took a crap on the same day. Definitely had me confused. Starter is being rebuilt now. Thanks guys!

Fed

Commander

Did you test for power between the starter motor post & engine ground?
Many starter motors have been replaced when there's nothing wrong with them.

seppy61

Cadet

I ran jumper cables directly from battery to starter and it wouldn't engage. I took it to an auto electric shop and he couldn't get it to either. He just called me and said the brushes were worn out and put new ones in for 37 bucks and now its working. I will let u know if she fires when i put it back in tomorrow. Thanks!

seppy61

Cadet

It was the starter. New brushes fired right up. The fuel issue caused starter to go off its last leg making me a confused puppy out there. Thanks again for all the help! You guys are awesome.