1999 johnson 35 hp oiler bypass

lmcguire

Recruit
Hi,
I have a 99 johnson 35hp. (j35pl3eem) that i believe has the c.r.o. oiler system. The last trip out it melted the recirc lines and got the back of the coil pack hot enough to singe the edges. It would start after we let it cool but would shut down or die out when throttled up and not start until we cooled it down again (no spark).The water pump seemed to be doing ok as it was spraying water out the indicator nozzle.Im thinking it wasnt oiling due to it using a very small amount of oil compared to normal.I checked compression today to make sure i didnt completely fry it and had 119-120 on all 3 cylinders.My question is how hard is it to bypass this oiler system?Do i leave the recirc lines in place or plug them up ?also what about the level sensor in the tank?Ive been looking but not finding a complete procedure to get rid of this oiling system.I would greatly appreciate any help on this.
Thanks ,
Larry

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 johnson 35 hp oiler bypass

Pull the whole oil tank assembly off of the motor. Tape up the sender wires and route you fuel lines directly from the fuel pumps to the cabs. Then mix your fuel 50:1.

hidef

Lieutenant

The instructions for removing the OMS system are as simple as what Boobie stated. The recirc lines need to remain in place. Just buy new lines and replace the old. You should check your thermostat is functioning properly. The thermostat is behind the big plastic nut on top of Cylinder 1. Be very careful when removing it and tightening it as the housing is plastic and no longer available.

lmcguire

Recruit

Thank you guys for your help it is very much appreciated.I am going to attempt this over the weekend. hopefully this fixes my issues.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Those wee recirc lines are not part of the oil injection / mixing system itself.---------Best to inspect them all.-------Also replace the impeller with factory original !