Evinrude Lark 2 Cant Get Running

boxchevyman

Seaman
I have a 1960 Evinrude Lark 2 40hp
I thought I had fixed this motor when I took it our yesterday. The motor started fine and ran on the low end of the rpm range for a bit, but when I tried to get on a plane she was bogging down really bad and didn?t want to get up and go. Knowing that I had spark on two cylinders I decided to adjust the high end needle. So I turned the motor off and adjusted it and it wouldn?t turn back on and fuel was running out of the carb. Ended up being a stuck float, which I now have fixed. But I can still not get the engine to run.
I have confirmed spark on both cylinders. The spark plugs are dry so I?m assuming no fuel is getting to them. I have taken the carb apart and cleaned it the best I know how, (I have a shop manual) and I think the problem is somewhere in the low speed needle adjustment? I don?t know for sure. I have tried choking it and then I tried starting fluid, which doesn?t work when sprayed in the carb? it has to be on the plug for it fire.
I have set the carb to specs in the shop manual.
So do you guys think this is carb related or possibly the reeds, or?
Thanks
James

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude Lark 2 Cant Get Running

Assume you probably did due diligence on compression and spark testing – if so, think there are probably still carb probs., which usually means a full disassembly and complete soaking and cleaning (incl removal/replacement of the expansion plug above the low speed needle). Sounds like something was missed – carb kit would be a good idea.

Might check the t.stat before proceeding. If the thermostat isn’t working properly, the auto choke likely won’t work right – which could produce flooding. Believe you also have a manual choke lever, so should make sure the choke opens and closes appropriately when testing.

no mention of overheating issues, btw, so assume the motor is pumping water OK.

Last edited:

boxchevyman

Seaman

Hey oldboat1
I must admit I’m a bit humbled. I checked for spark but the bottom cylinder had week spark which ended up being the points. So now the motor starts and runs fairly smooth at lower RPMs. I also took the low flow needle out and sprayed carb cleaner down it till I saw fluid entering the carb body.
However when I was revving it up in my test can, I noticed what sounded like a miss at higher RPMs could this be yet again spark related or possibly carburetor?

Btw water pump is working well. T stat is shot but i manual choke and then turn it off.

Thanks for your help
James

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Hi James. Sounds like progress to me. Have to say though, be careful about revving it in a test barrel. Couple of ideas – If you are going to hang on to the motor for use, think you will want to check out the magneto if you haven’t already. That “miss” could be a bad coil – should at least take a look and see if they look OK – not cracked and about to fall apart. If there is cracking, just replace them (could produce spark still, but will give out when you are out in the lake). Additionally, you should test spark with a tester if you haven’t done that.

The miss could also be the carb (maybe needle adjustment.) You can’t completely set the high speed needle while running in a barrel, but can come close at a high idle (reset it on the lake, if necessary). That t.stat – really recommend replacement, as you can’t get the motor to run well if it’s running cold. Also, if the auto choke is working but the t.stat is either missing or stuck open, chances are the choke is partly closed, and the motor is running too rich.

It’s a nice motor – good runners.

(never too late for a compression check, btw. probably fine, but worth checking to be sure. Ah -- and you said the choke was not an issue. Still hold to replacing t.stat, though, for proper operating temp.)

Last edited:

boxchevyman

Seaman

Hey oldboat1
Thanks for your advise. I'm now fighting a rough idle situation, will post a new topic.
thanks
James