1984 9.9 HP Extended Long Shaft Yacht-twin water pump issue.

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer
Started up my 9.9 , and found no water at the tattler.
Purchased pump and housing kit last night, and dropped the lower, first thing this morning.

I tried to push some compressed air, up the water tube, but only got a barely noticable amount of air at the tattler.

As of right now, I only have the Clymer and Seloc manuals ( working on getting OEM shop books ), and I read through the top secret file @ http://forums.iboats.com/engine-fre...ohnson-water-pump-job-photos-lots-309188.html The two aftermarket books do not delve into further testing or diagnostics....

Is this minute amount of air movement normal, or should it be free flowing? :confused:

Thanks fellas !!! :cool:

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 9.9 HP Extended Long Shaft Yacht-twin water pump issue.

Update:

I am more concerned now, as there appeared to be nothing wrong with the pump.
I bought this, late in the season, last year, and the seller had installed a new housing and pump impeller. I only put 20 some odd hours on it, if that. I have just removed and opened it up, and it still looks brand spanking new. The vanes have not even developed a "curl" set to them yet.....

racerone

Supreme Mariner

No water there could mean a blockage in the wee hose or nipple.-Quite common.---So what did the old impeller look like ? was the motor running hot ?-----A completely blocked tell tale has no affect on the actual cooling of the motor.

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer

I did not let it run long at all, when I saw no water... so I do not if it was running hot.
I wrote above that the old impeller and housing looked very good...
Since making that update, i had turned the flywheel by hand and I actually have air flow from the pee hole, when blowing up the water tube. Not sure why..

racerone

Supreme Mariner

I would say just reassemble and test run it.------I do not believe there is anything wrong here other that the hose or nipple was plugged.

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer

Putting the new impeller and housing in now...

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

how long did you run the motor? there is a thermostat that takes a minute or two to open. i would check the tstat if there seems to be a blockage.
dino

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer

Ahhhh, did not think of that.. Will be my next target.. :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The thermostat has nothing to do with water coming out of the tell tale on this motor.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

connect garden hose to water pipe in midsection housing pipe and run slowly water.
watch how much water is exiting thought peehole outlet
under powerhead is rubber grommet.
this gromet can lock and restrict water flow to powerhead
i had this problem few times

Last edited:

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer

OK...I installed the new impeller and housing, and put the lower back on.
I started it up, and it ran GREAT. Nice heavy water stream from the wee hole.

As the motor warmed up, and I started shifting (running in a very large tub) the flow from the wee hole gradually reduced to a drip then nothing. The head was beginning to REALLY, heat up, too. I pushed a needle file into the wee hole and some flow started again, but was scalding hot. I checked the head, and it was very hot to the touch. I shut it down.

I looked in the aftermarket books to locate thermostat, but they are vague and the only pic was of a higher HP, that doesn't look like mine.

Does anyone know where my tstat would be located? I would very much like to avoid stripping the head down, playing hide and seek or peek aboo. :)

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer

connect garden hose to water pipe in midsection housing pipe and run slowly water.
watch how much water is exiting thought peehole outlet
under powerhead is rubber grommet.
this gromet can lock and restrict water flow to powerhead
i had this problem few times

Forgot to mention, I did take this step, and had great flow out of the wee hole.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

usualy when i recive new to me outboard , I just tear down powerhead.
change upper gromet, change termostat, change gaskets at side water jacket panel,
instal new waterpump impeler
after this i have always have good cooling

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Thermostat is under the cover on the cylinder head.

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you guys for bearing with me.

I just pulled the tstat. It looks like it has been replaced, recently. It is squeaky clean ( I know this doesn't mean any thing) and there was some very clean and new blue sealant on that cylinder cover.

While I have it open I looked at the water passages and its very clean. I blew compressed air into the wee hole, and after clearing a little debris, I had great flow into the tstat cavity. I blew through the water port and had nice flow bubbling up, out of exhaust. I blew thru the other port and had bubbles coming from water intake on lower.

I have to say, I really think I have everything clear.

I put the tstat in a small pot of water, and heated it up, on stove. The tstat did open, but I THINK it was a little late, a little hot, not sure. It did close slowly, after removing from water.

So I am a little stumped here, and could really use your input. I think I might want to put on some very small mufflers, try to put water up thru pump, and see what I get at the tstat cavity, weep hole junction....

What do you guys think ?

I could put the cover back on without the tstat. I do not want to run without a tstat, but see if I still have a heat problem, and a diminishing weep ?

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer

I pulled the plugs, and let the motor spin, using the electric start. It seemed to me that it took awhile to get water to flow out the cylinder head. Really carefully blew out the passages again, and installed a new tstat.

Fired it up and let it run for a little while... great water at the pee hole, and the head seemed to get upto and hold 147 F.
What do you guys think. I NEED to be able to depend on this motor. Besides being my go slow, to grab Super Striper motor, it is also my 175 crapped out, get me back 7 miles of open LI Sound motor ....