Late 70's early 80's Evinrude Fisherman 6 hp- questions

67fastback

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

this is the second motor I have picked on trade in the past week. It is a late 70's early 80's not sure of year..
Evinrude Fisherman 6 hp motor, guy said he replaced the fuel filter and carb gaskets and new impeller. i tried to start it up and the rope pulled the knot threw the hole... is there an easy way to re string the pull rope. guy trying to turn it by hand suxs. took me 3 hours to get it spun back up to them have the knot pull threw again... grrrr..

Help!

Also what is the setting for the carb dial thing. guy said close it all the way and 1 1/2 turns out and try and start it then adjust it on the water at fuel speed. Does this sound right, i know the little knob falls off too so not much help at a starting point...

Oh yes does any one have any manuals for this little motor.. guess you need serial #??
80 evinrude fisherman 6hp (5).jpg
80 evinrude fisherman 6hp (6).jpg
80 evinrude fisherman 6hp (7).jpg
80 evinrude fisherman 6hp (8).jpg
80 evinrude fisherman 6hp (9).jpg

Last edited:

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Late 70's early 80's Evinrude Fisherman 6 hp- questions

i think that motor is more likely from the early to mid 70s.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The needle is the slow speed mixture adjustment.--------It is adjusted for smooth idle when motor is running slow.---------Wrap a rope around the flywheel to get it started for now.------Spend time on the recoil once you decide it is worth doing that.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

good motors but that pull start can take some patience to get it going again. make sure you have spark, at least a 1/4" blue spark.
dino

67fastback

Seaman Apprentice

good motors but that pull start can take some patience to get it going again. make sure you have spark, at least a 1/4" blue spark.
dino
I have spark it did fire once or twice before the rip cord pulled out...
I have spark and had it some what fired once or twice before the pull start cord pulled out so is there any easy way to re rope it?Seems everything thing that I was if the rope had not broke.. and here is the what i found..
http://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC_6hp.htm

To replace the rope, you should first remove the spark plug wires for safety. The following was taken from a 1971 service manual. (1) Pull the rope out as far as you can, then allow it to retract less than one revolution until the rope end of the spool faces the port side of the motor. Lock the starter in this position by lifting the starter pinion gear upward to engage the flywheel ring gear, and slide the slightly spread handles of a pair of pliers under the gear, holding the gear upwards and into the flywheel gears. (2) remove the starter rope handle. (3) remove the rope from the spool. (4) Replace with a new rope, which needs to be 56 1/4" long, then burn the ends with match for about 1/2" to keep them from unraveling plus to be stiff so they will hold in the spool or anchor. Thread the rope thru the slot in the spool as it came out of. (5) Thread the rope thru the motor cover & install the handle. (6) Hold the starter rope handle to keep it from rewinding too rapidly, remove the pliers allowing the rope to rewind normally.

To remove the starter unit from the power head, (1) pull the starter handle and form a knot in the rope to prevent the rope to recoil while removing the handle. Remove the handle. (2) remove the rope. Hold the starter spool then slowly allow the starter main spring to unwind completely. Remove both the bearing head screws and front spring retainer plate screw, allowing the plate to drop enough to

Attachments

• 6hp exploded starter.jpg
    6hp exploded starter.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

67fastback

Seaman Apprentice

To replace the rope, you should first remove the spark plug wires for safety. The following was taken from a 1971 service manual.
(1) Pull the rope out as far as you can, then allow it to retract less than one revolution until the rope end of the spool faces the port side of the motor. Lock the starter in this position by lifting the starter pinion gear upward to engage the flywheel ring gear, and slide the slightly spread handles of a pair of pliers under the gear, holding the gear upwards and into the flywheel gears.
(2) remove the starter rope handle.
(3) remove the rope from the spool.
(4) Replace with a new rope, which needs to be 56 1/4" long, then burn the ends with match for about 1/2" to keep them from unraveling plus to be stiff so they will hold in the spool or anchor. Thread the rope thru the slot in the spool as it came out of.
(5) Thread the rope thru the motor cover & install the handle.
(6) Hold the starter rope handle to keep it from rewinding too rapidly, remove the pliers allowing the rope to rewind normally.

6hp exploded starter.jpg

67fastback

Seaman Apprentice

I still need to know the setting for the slow speed knob starting point from all the way closed. Since the knob fell off and was turned i need a good starting point to put the know back on.

View attachment 228431

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

turn in till lightly seated. then 1 1/2 turns out. its in the faq's and leeroysramblings too,
dino

67fastback

Seaman Apprentice

turn in till lightly seated. then 1 1/2 turns out. its in the faq's and leeroysramblings too,
dino

thanks...
It runs... year may be wrong but that is ok...we will figure that by the model # lol...

racerone

Supreme Mariner

There is not enuff water in that bucket for proper operation of the waterpump !--------Other than it does not sound bad.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander

the reason i said the motor was probably older is because 1977 was the first year with external coils and a power pack. so if i saw the photos correctly it is 1976 or older.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Water pump bulge should be submerged in the bucket to allow proper cooling!

67fastback

Seaman Apprentice

the reason i said the motor was probably older is because 1977 was the first year with external coils and a power pack. so if i saw the photos correctly it is 1976 or older.

well here is the model # 6302SJ 06497

So calling all motor gods who can look up what year it is and what it means..

http://www.marineengine. com/manuals/evinrude/#e6hp
shows it to be a 1973 - from 6302 not sure what SJ means...but you tell me...

i also found out that 56 1/4 rope was too long, had to cut it down shorter so 50" is a good start place for this motor lenght.

Last edited:

67fastback

Seaman Apprentice

Also I drained the gear oil , I found it to be milky white. So what seals needs to be replaced?