Plugged fuel filter or fuel pump bad???

Dogrider

Cadet
Today when we where coming in from all day fishing. We were running abt 50mph and boat had ran great all and it started to loses power and just slowly died. I started it back up and took off again and it slowly died again. I started it again and just put it in gear and it would go but no faster then that. So I started to pump priming bubble and to my son to give more throttle. It started to running fine again as long as I kept pumping the priming bubble. So is it the fuel pump? Or filter?

It is a 1995 Johnson faststrike 175
I have had oil injection taken out yrs ago and I mix oil.
Thanks for all ur help?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Plugged fuel filter or fuel pump bad???

Well, filters are cheap. Change it. However,it does sound like the fuel pump is bad,but you would change the filter anyway if you were changing the pump. I know I would check the fuel for water before doing any of the above. When was the last time you changed the filter? Or did you wait for something to happen before you had any issues?

Dogrider

Cadet

Well, filters are cheap. Change it. However,it does sound like the fuel pump is bad,but you would change the filter anyway if you were changing the pump. I know I would check the fuel for water before doing any of the above. When was the last time you changed the filter? Or did you wait for something to happen before you had any issues?

I just checked the one going into the motor. I don't think there one pre-priming bubble???

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a bad fuel pump.

Dogrider

Cadet

Ok should I replace rvo or just put in a inline electronic fuel pump? A boat repair guy at the lake suggested putting in the inline electronic pump? I'm not to sure abt that.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Stay away from the electric fuel pump as it's a fire hazard !!

Dogrider

Cadet

Thanks. Anymore suggestions to look for before I order new rvo.

Dogrider

Cadet

If the rvo is bad would it idle fine but not run at high rpms. I have been work or looking it over and can find any leaks filters look good. I let it idle for about 5mins and idles fine.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

At high rpm it needs more fuel.

Dogrider

Cadet

Ok. Put in all new fuel lines from the fuel tank to motor. Ordered new rvo fuel pump conversion assy. I don't have oil unit on rvo, just fuel. For pre mix. My lines from outside area (priming bubble to motor) were pretty dry rotted and cracked.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Let us know what happens when you get the pump on.

Dogrider

Cadet

Put on new rvo and filter and she runs like new again. Now psi gauge problems??? Thanks for everyone's help.