1985 150 GT Johnson... How to disable fast start?

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Was gonna set the timing but it shows 8 degrees... I think this boast has fast start and was wanting to disable

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1985 150 GT Johnson... How to disable fast start?

Just to make sure this is right.... I pushed the fast idle lever up to put the timer against the rubber stop, removed all plugs and left number 1 in and placed against the block. Put a timing light on number one plug wire and turned engine over. It was at 8 degrees. Also had to put old power pack back on because the new one from cdi wasn't firing any plugs on that side.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Shouldnt the throttle lever be fully forward?
Not sure the fast idle lever gets it anywhere near full advance.
Do you want it at 8degs?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You don't have quick start on that motor. On that motor it came out in 1989.

daselbee

Commander

Your procedure is all wrong. Re-read Reeves timing method again.

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No I want it set at 24... With what the engine makes that puts it at 28.... Throttle forward wouldn't let me use the key to turn it over.

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

He says throttle at full... The motor won't turn over with the boat in gear... The fast idle is the only way for the timer base to set against the rubber stop and the boat still turn over?

daselbee

Commander

True....so you will have to improvise.
Jump the starter solenoid.

Also, be dad-gum sure that thing will not start. Remove all plugs. Leave key in OFF position.

Fast idle lever should not move the timer base against it's stop. It should only move the timer base a small bit.

Or, read my posts regarding setting the timing with engine running. Do a search.

EDIT: Wrong...leaving key in off position will kill spark, and not allow you to use a timing light...
Disregard that about leaving the key off....

Last edited:

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll search that... Why would the fast idle lever put the timer base against the stop? Probably something I should correct

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I'll search that... Why would the fast idle lever put the timer base against the stop? Probably something I should correct

No it shouldnt as Daselbee said. You said in post 2 it would. it shouldnt only in full throttle position should it. Fast idle lever only advances the throttle a little bit as ithe motors in neutral, if the motor went to actual full throttle in idle you could end up with some pistons coming out of the motor and hitting your nose

daselbee

Commander

Well, maybe someone has turned the WOT timing stop screw so far in that the timer base hits the stop screw early.
I don't even know if it is possible to turn the screw in that far.
That would explain why he is getting 8*.....and I guess that is BTDC...he doesn't say.

Complete link and sync time for sure.

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can adjust the fast idle lever by turning the black round piece on the upper linkage right where it's held in place at bottom carb. I suppose this would affect the idle as well

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update:
I adjusted the cable running from the fast idle lever so that it barely moves the timer base when pushed all the way up.

Now, I adjusted the needle so that It points to TDC when cylinder #1 is all the way out. Had all plugs pulled, key in on position, timing light on #1 plug wire, and #1 plug firing against block, and the throttle wide open. Jumped the starter and it read about 14*, BUT it was 14* on the marks that are supposed to be #2 cylinder. WTF?
I dunno what I'm doing wrong?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Which side of the motor is # 1 on ??

jskise3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Right side facing the motor from back of boat... It's the highest on the block

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Update:
I adjusted the cable running from the fast idle lever so that it barely moves the timer base when pushed all the way up.

Now, I adjusted the needle so that It points to TDC when cylinder #1 is all the way out. Had all plugs pulled, key in on position, timing light on #1 plug wire, and #1 plug firing against block, and the throttle wide open. Jumped the starter and it read about 14*, BUT it was 14* on the marks that are supposed to be #2 cylinder. WTF?

I dunno what I'm doing wrong?

Have you checked the flywheel key?