Evinrude Fleetwin High Speed Needle Problem

yesizmatt

Seaman Apprentice
I have been fixing up my 56' evinrude fleetwin and it has been running better lately. The final problem that I have is tuning in the high speed control. When I go up to full speed, it does not go very fast at all, maybe 1/4 the speed it should be going. Then as I turn it in slowly waiting for it to respond, it never changes until it is in far enough that it dies. Then after running it for a bit, it will start going at the full speed it should. The high speed control still will not control it at all. If I turn the motor off, when I start it again it goes slowly again. The motor has good compression and I have done a carb rebuild, and added new spark plugs, points, and coils.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Fleetwin High Speed Needle Problem

When it is running slow, is it running on both cylinders?

Fuel delivery still using original pressure tank?

kfa4303

Banned

+1. Sounds like you may actually only be running on one cylinder, which these old motors can do surprisingly well. I would confirm a nice strong spark on each cylinder capable of jumping a 1/4" gap, then move on to the carb.

yesizmatt

Seaman Apprentice

I started the motor and then once it was running I took off the wire that goes to the bottom spark plug, and it isn't affect it at all. When I took the one of the top, it died. Looks like I am running on one cylinder after all! Does anyone know why it sometimes would kick in while out on the water??? Could this be fairly easy to fix?

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Try first cleaning the points. Dress with a points file, or wrap wet/dry around a hacksaw blade, and run that through many times. Blow off with compressed air. Dip business card, or paper stock in acetone or laquer thinner, and run that through to clean. Ensure no fibres left, can blow out with compressed air again.

If you don't have the means to test condenser, and it is original, change it.

Ill assume you have changed the coils if they were original.

Test plug wire continuity, and continuity ad plug boot to ensure wire and connections are secure.

kfa4303

Banned

Yup, sounds like the bottom cylinder isn't firing. Start by cleaning and resetting the points, but if that doesn't do it you may need to inspect the coils and/or spark plug wires. Here's a great ignition rebuild link, or two. You can get all ther parts right here at iboats for about $20 each, if you need them.

3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967

yesizmatt

Seaman Apprentice

Today my buddy and I took off all of the ignition system components and it turns out that the coil that was used for the cylinder that wasn't firing didn't have the copper wire going in it very good. Cleaned points, and installed new condensers then started it up and ran on both cylinders. Thanks for the help everyone!

kfa4303

Banned

sweetness! happy boating. Vroom-vroom!