Help!! Want to go crappie fishing......60 hp evinrude

LAKEHOME

Cadet
1990 60 hp evinrude....e60tlesm

ignition went bad..would stay on with starter running...bought new ignition however i am stuck
on wiring.

I have service manual and i do the have the control wiring diagram. The manual
shows similar control but with kill switch.....mine is a "power pilot" without safety or kill switch.

Took old one off and compared new switch..same as old with same posts and "alpha codes."

paid no attention to old wiring sequence since i had the wiring diagram so i wired as illustrated
but now choke does not work and it starts ok but to kill engine you need to turn one click
to on position and push in....all the way to left does nothing....i have new power pack and i don't
want to guess and do electrical damage. Thanks....don

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help!! Want to go crappie fishing......60 hp evinrude

When I changed the key switch with a Sierra part on my 1989 60hp I found that the letters weren't properly assigned to the terminals. The terminal arrangement had changed as well. So take a photo or make a drawing and disconnect all leads except the black/yellow on the round post M since this is unmistakable.

Take an ohmmeter and find the terminal that is connected to the round post in OFF position. That is the second M (ground black).

Turn the key to RUN position and find the two contacts that are connected now. That is A and B. Unfortunately it's impossible to distinguish between A and B with a normal ohmmeter. Hopefully you can do so by the "alpha codes" stamped on the plastic. If you mix up A and B the key switch will still work, but the starter and the choke may have to go through two contacts in series.

Then turn the key to START position and find the additional contact to A/B. That is S (starter yellow/red).

Back in RUN position find the additional contact to A/B that closes when you push the key in. That is C (purple/white primer solenoid).

KeySwitch.jpg