1995 Johnson Ocean Runner 200 lower unit issues

One more issue with the boat recently that needs to be addressed. When I purchased the boat it already had a dinged up Stainless prop and a lower unit leak. Unfortunately I managed to hit the boat ramp the second time I was out at the lake. It has always had some vibration on take off and figured it was due to the prop, but now Im suspecting that the prop shaft may be bent. Regardless the seals need to be replaced. I'm an automotive mechanic and by nature I'd like to do as much of the work as possible by myself. I haven't checked the runout of the shaft yet, but will probably do that later today after work. My main question is how difficult of a procedure is it to change the lower unit seals? I know I have a leak and also that water is being sucked into the lower unit as well from the milky look to the gear lube. I've searched the forum, but have yet to find a similar make/model/year to get a better idea on the repair.

Also if the prop shaft is bent, are there specs on acceptable runout. Sure it can't be more than a couple thousandths. Was going to look into getting it straightened, and may or may not just have the seals done at the same time.

Thanks for any advise.

Last edited:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1995 Johnson Ocean Runner 200 lower unit issues

One more issue with the boat recently that needs to be addressed. When I purchased the boat it already had a dinged up Stainless prop and a lower unit leak. Unfortunately I managed to hit the boat ramp the second time I was out at the lake. It has always had some vibration on take off and figured it was due to the prop, but now Im suspecting that the prop shaft may be bent. Regardless the seals need to be replaced. I'm an automotive mechanic and by nature I'd like to do as much of the work as possible by myself. I haven't checked the runout of the shaft yet, but will probably do that later today after work. My main question is how difficult of a procedure is it to change the lower unit seals? I know I have a leak and also that water is being sucked into the lower unit as well from the milky look to the gear lube. I've searched the forum, but have yet to find a similar make/model/year to get a better idea on the repair.

Also if the prop shaft is bent, are there specs on acceptable runout. Sure it can't be more than a couple thousandths. Was going to look into getting it straightened, and may or may not just have the seals done at the same time.

Thanks for any advise.
I read of a guy that straightened those bent shafts while on the motor!!!!!!!

I have rebuilt a lower unit… you need to buy or make a special shim setting guage…

Or so they say… I built one myself with the help of a borrowed one….

You are correct that the shaft needs to be replaced or fixed , or the seals will just wear out again…this is one reason a SS prop will never go back on any of my motors.

I can ruin and replace 10 aluminum props for the cost of a rebuilt LU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really have to get the factory manual

bob

My fishing buddies said they had theirs straightened at a shop up in Austin that did it on the boat. Going to see if the shop in town has that ability after I check to see if it's even bent. And the lower unit on the boat is already a rebuilt unit the previous owner bought on ebay I guess.

I have a manual for newer models, but lets face it a good tutorial online beats blurry black and white manuals. Just figured I'd give it a shot. Yea I was talking to another guy at work and said he bought a hub adapter and an aluminum prop for his boat that would slide on the hub. Total together was about 120 and the prop would be the only thing that needs to be replaced if ever damaged aprox 70 bucks from what he remembered. For that price it would be very economical to have an extra brand new prop on the boat at all times. Something I will definitely be looking into. All in all thought with the best case situation... If the shaft isn't bent is the seal replacement something easy tackled?

Last edited:

daselbee

Commander

Prop shaft won't come out without special tools. Getting the pinion nut off is the challenge.

Replacing seals is easy and no special tools required...except the bearing carrier puller which you can make using a slide hammer.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

My fishing buddies said they had theirs straightened at a shop up in Austin that did it on the boat. Going to see if the shop in town has that ability after I check to see if it's even bent. And the lower unit on the boat is already a rebuilt unit the previous owner bought on ebay I guess.

I have a manual for newer models, but lets face it a good tutorial online beats blurry black and white manuals. Just figured I'd give it a shot. Yea I was talking to another guy at work and said he bought a hub adapter and an aluminum prop for his boat that would slide on the hub. Total together was about 120 and the prop would be the only thing that needs to be replaced if ever damaged aprox 70 bucks from what he remembered. For that price it would be very economical to have an extra brand new prop on the boat at all times. Something I will definitely be looking into. All in all thought with the best case situation... If the shaft isn't bent is the seal replacement something easy tackled?

you need to get the FACTORY manual...NOT the Clymer Seloc junk

bob

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You should have no more than .005 " run out on the prop shaft.

Thanks boobie. And I'lm guessing that I should take the measurement as far out on the shaft as possible then and hope for less that then? Anyone know if it's common practice nowdays to straighten prop shafts on the boat? And if anyone has heard or uses that hub and aluminum prop that I mentioned. Just wondering the positives and negatives of buying what seems to be a fairly cheap prop replacement.

And lastly to those seals usually come in a kit that can be ordered with everything to fix the concern or will they probably need to be pieced together? I'm not even sure how many seals or gaskets will be involved.

Thanks again for answering all these rookie questions!

Got some specs for yall.Prop runout is only .002" from the threads (as far away add I could measure). Does have front to back end play .019" and I can push the shaft side to side .018". Not sure what end play and side to side specs are. Probably need some bearings, seals and thrust bearing. I'll have to check out the manual for a parts list I guess. Any input on repair recommendations would be appreciated.

Btw the prop nut was only finger right. Good thing for the nut cap and cotter pin.

Also... Put it back together and spun the prop. Noticed .090" runout at the rear outside round of the prop and .052" at the front outside round of the prop. Both measurements came out then back in slightly then back out to the max runout. Very noticeable even by eye. Having a feeling this prop is the culprit for all the worn bearings and seals

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

the side to side play is bad... thats why you probnably have so much run out with the wqeight of the prop!!!...which is what you REALLY have.... your bearings are shot... and probably your seals...... you should replace bearings as well as the seals....bob

And we're talking about the two bearings in the prop shaft bearing carrier, correct? And the two prop shaft seals? Does the end play seem like it is excessive?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

And we're talking about the two bearings in the prop shaft bearing carrier, correct? And the two prop shaft seals? Does the end play seem like it is excessive?

at the minimum.... youll probably want to erplace the thrust bearing and washers. but since you will replace the shaft,look at everything.

I made up a custom thin open end wrench to remove the nut on the end of he drive shaft

bob

at the minimum.... youll probably want to erplace the thrust bearing and washers. but since you will replace the shaft,look at everything.

I made up a custom thin open end wrench to remove the nut on the end of he drive shaft

bob

So even with acceptable runout on the shaft without the prop you think the shaft is worn? Or is it possible that I can just replace the bearings? I guess I need to pull the bearing housing out of the lower unit to inspect the shaft. Sure would be nice if it were just the bearings and seals.

I know if it were a customers boat then yea they would be getting all new parts. But I wonder if I can find the specs on the shaft thickness at the bearing area to see if it is still useable?

Also would you say that the endplay is excessive? Not sure of the specs, but I'd suspect there has to be at least a little bit of endplay going on.

Thanks again.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

don't fool yourself...you have more than .002 rounout, if you can force the shaft side to side .018"!!!!.... its all got to be within .002

but for a do it yourselfer .005 can be let go to save money..just watch the oil in the LU closely
end play,isnt as big a deal I don't think

bob