Newbie with Johnson 5 hp TD 20

skidder_211

Recruit
Hello folks,

I am new to this forum, new to engines (new to everything). I recently got my grandpas johnson td 20 from the late 40s. It is in pretty good shape for the age and was taken very good care of. The last 40 years it has been in their shed. I have numerous questions. I don't know the steps to take to revamp this motor. 1) how do i clean the carburetor. I was able to take it out and apart, however the float part won't come out it moves but doesn't come out. Is this normal? Should i pull harder to take it out. How do i clean it? Just soak it in carburetor fluid. People talk about adjusting the needle or something like that what does this mean and what do i do about it?

2) I took the covers apart and noticed a metal bar part of the "frame" (i'm not sure what to call it) has a crack in it with about a 1 mm gap. This concerns me i move the moter and everythign and it all seems solid. I can not weld and was thinking of using jb weld to fills this crack. Will this work? I don't think i have any other options.

3) Next i want to clean out the gas tank, how do you do this? I havn't removed it but will just unscrew stuff until it works. Do you soak the tank in some type of fluid?? Do i need to flush all the gas lines, etc? Should there be a air filter that is needed?

4) What do i do next? I plan to do the above 3 and see if it will start up? I will order new spark plugs but the once on there look pretty good (looks aren't everything however)

Please any advice is greatly appreciated. I also have zero experience with this and have very limited information on gas motors. Any information that can be baby stepped would be great as well.

Thank you

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: Newbie with Johnson 5 hp TD 20

I think you remove a clip to get the float off the pin.------The pin / valve can then go out the bottom.