1968 Johnson 40hp Carb leaking out the front when primed???

Jermbo420

Recruit
I have cleaned and got a kit and new float for this carb and it's still poring gas out the overflow when primed, then when I try to start it gas pours out the front of the carb itself... I could use some help on this I can't seem to figure it out I've took it off three times allready:mad-new:

Jermbo420

Recruit
Re: 1968 Johnson 40hp Carb leaking out the front when primed???

Thanks for the help, it turned out that the new carb kit came with a gasket for the bowl that was too thick and was making the float stick open. I solved that problem and of course now I have a new harder to solve problem... I took the lower unit off to install a new impeller and this is the electric shift motor well the wiring had been replaced to a certain point and I couldn't figure out how to unplug it and well when I dropped the lower unit it ripped the shift wire out the top of the unit does anyone have any idea how to fix this???

kfa4303

Banned

Ahhhh, the dreaded electric shift models. I've never had to deal with them personally, but I hear it's not a whole lot of fun, unfortunately :/ Hopefully, it will be as "simple" as splicing/replacing the wire. someone with a bit more expertise will be able to help you out shortly, I'm sure. Good luck.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Is the wire repairable, you can still get a new one,#383595, you will not like the price.

Last edited:

Jermbo420

Recruit

Yea i found one on marine engines website for $200 and i sure don't want to spend that much if i can help it but when i took the very bottom off the lower unit it looks as if there is a seal that goes over the wires and stops the oil from mixing with the water... Hell the wire is pulled out but can't get the seal out.