1994 60hp evinrude engine dies

colbaldy

Recruit
Hi , having problems with my motor it dies on turns and cuts out .Took to repair shop they said motor junk , took compression test lower 2 cylds got 120 psi, upper got 40 psi ,can you rebild this cyl ,shop says you cant. prev. owner had carbs done before i got it. any info would help ,thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 60hp evinrude engine dies

Before you can make decisions you have to put a wrench to it and inspect parts.----In this case you start by removing the cylinder head.-Just a few bolts and it is off.--Salt water motors can be troublesome to work on.----If you can do the work yourself it can certainly be worth doing a rebuild.----There are fewer shops today that have the time or willpower to rebuild stuff for the demanding / impatient customers today.

colbaldy

Recruit

thanks ,thats kinda what i was thinking ,shop said couldnt rebuild ,TRYING to sell motors i guess

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Many shops do not have that skilled individual anymore.--------They have " parts changers " and mechanics that do oil changes / CDI units / computers and sparkplugs.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

yep inspect the head gasket, it might just of blown on the top one.
All my motors are saltys, the head bolts normally are the more easier ones to get out, the underside ones are the worst.
Just make sure you get the right sized socket on so you dont ruin the head of the bolt and loosen then tighten as you back it out.
Backing it straight out can end up snapping the head off as the gunk in there gets stuck in the threads.
If they are stuck i normally heat them with a cheap $15 gas gun and give them a wrap with a hammer.

Nothings non rebuildable on that motor