1972 65hp Evinrude - stalls on forward on water (under load)and very hard to restart

jeftfm

Cadet
Hi all again. Got an issue that started off with the motor getting a bit hard to start but would eventually catch after a minute or two. Put into forward and ran rough with very little power - just enough to keep it slowly moving forward. After a couple of minutes it would clear itself and run fine. But after a couple of days of use the problem has got worse and now it stalls when put in gear (Note this is on the water - is OK on the muffs under no load)
I had thought I'd need to rebuild the carbs so did so but it the problem remains.(I'm a home mechanic, have checked my work but possibility it's not 100%?)
To date here's what I have done

Cleaned and rebuilt carbs with rebuild kits (replaced gaskets, and float needle with orifice. Didn't use the caps.)
Cleaned and blew out high speed and low-speed jets with air (didn't remove from carb as haven't the proper tool).
Checked fuel passes through jets OK
Replaced fuel lines to carbs and recut fuel line to fuel pump just to be sure.
Low-speed jets - started motor, set start point at 1 turn out from fully in and adjusted 1 at a time inwards until engine ran rough then backed out 1/4 turn.
Replaced spark plugs.
One by one removed plugs and noted rpm drop on all 3 (so assume spark and plugs OK)
Haven't done a compression check as don't have the tool.

When I start on muffs if it doesn't catch first time when cold (with choke) then it's difficult to start - turns over fine at good speed and almost ignites just on the limit of the throttle before the throttle-lever-advance-won't-allow-you-to-start mechanism prevents me going any further forward. Also have seen splashes of fuel on the carb throat but assume this is cause I flood it by sometimes leaving choke on too long?

So .... can anyone suggest a next step? After getting all set for a days fishing yesterday thinking she's all good, and then spending yet another hour at the dock, I'm almost a broken man!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 65hp Evinrude - stalls on forward on water (under load)and very hard to rest

I'd do a couple of things: When the engine is warmed up, recheck the spark. Weak ignition components tend to fail once the engine heats up to normal operating temps. (It may run ok when cold, then miss when warmed up.) You can also check the spark on each plug with an inductive timing light. The flashes from the gun will tell you misses, weak firing, etc. It is also possible the idle is too low when in gear. That engine may seem to run fine on the trailer when running on 2 cyls. You need all 3 firing when it's in the lake and in gear. Idle needs to get set when the boat is floating normally in the water and in forward gear. It should idle between 650-750. If it's too low, it can stall when shifted into gear. My 79 V4 is very sensitive to flooding when cold starting. Starts with hardly any choke, so it will overfuel quickly when choked. When you rebuilt the carbs, did you use a carb cleaner on the fuel passages-like a Gumout product?

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: 1972 65hp Evinrude - stalls on forward on water (under load)and very hard to rest

Compression. Check

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

might need to back out those idle screws just a tad more. best to adjust them in the water and in gear. idle rpm is important

jeftfm

Cadet

Hi all - thanks for the suggestions. Started today on muffs (started almost straight away). Checked sparks at cold and after warmed up - nice and strong and blue/white. Compression check shows 107/105/110. At least all cylinders almost the same but do you think the compression numbers are too low? I'm not experienced enough to do rings etc and motors probably not really economically worth being repaired by mechanic if the numbers are too low ...

I checked the idle screws again (in gear but on muffs) - 2nd and 3rd behaved correctly - screwed in til rpm drop, backed out and noticed drop again so set in the middle when rpm were highest. But top jet was odd - screwed all the way in, dropped rpm only slightly but engine still ran (doing the same to 2 or 3 killed the engine). Have pulled out #1 carb for detailed check and reclean - will post results tomorrow.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Check your plugs colour and any combustion colour difference between them.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

You motor is fine with that compression, get her running good and don't worry about a rebuild until it pukes someday in the next 10 or 15 years.