60 hp johnson tilt and trim not working

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys! I have a 1973 65hp johnson and the power tilt worked when I hooked it up to my pontoon a few weeks ago but now it is not working. I have a brand new switch for it also I traced back my wiring to the original trim motor units wiring and hooked the battery up there but still did not work? Does anyone know how to go about fixing one of these?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 60 hp johnson tilt and trim not working

Does the moter run when you activate the switch, but the unit will not lift the engine?

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No it does not make any sound. It worked great a few weeks ago.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

I have no idea what your relay box looks like but my 60 had a set of contact points in there and they had burnt up. One week it worked fine, a month later no. I just sanded them and that was it needed to bring back to action

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Image.jpg

This is what it looks like, and yes that could be what is wrong. I just don't trust myself enough with this stuff yet to start taring it apart without someones opinion.

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check or jump your new switch to be sure it isn't defective. If you're getting power to the motor, then you'll have to take the motor off and apart. On mine I cleaned the cracks between the commutator (copper surface where the brushes ride), put it back together and the motor raced up and down.

Bill

Last edited:

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes I hooked a battery straight up to the trim motor it's self and still got nothing

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Try tapping the trim motor with a screwdriver handle to see if the brushes are stuck; if no joy then the brushes are probably gone and need replacing or worse, the whole motor needs to be replaced. May find one at a salvage yard. Good luck

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The orange sealer makes it look like it was apart / motor has been replaced.---Might need to take it apart and clean the " thermal overload " contact points inside the top part of the motor.

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I have all day tomorrow and I will try all of these things and let you guys know my results thanks!!

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How can I take the motor off? Can I remove all of the hook ups without anything happening

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Remove the electrical connections from the boat and then loosen the two screws on top of the motor and try to take if off in one piece.

norman2013

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I inspected the inside and it appears that the brushes are bad. One is ripped off of its wire and the other the metal piece is broke in half. Is it east to replace these brushes or would i i just be better off buy a new motor?

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Carry it to a starter/generator shop and see if they can replace the brushes; if not they can probably tell you where to carry it. Good luck

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd have to say, get a new mtr and then you're done with it. Unless a shop can repair it for a reasonable price. Get an estimate.